Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

passat won't start after battery died

pontiacfanactic
09-08-2009, 02:08 PM
When battery died on 1999 volkswagen passat all we get is alarm activation and a click, no turning over. Do we need or can we disable burglar alarm or is there another solution(s)? Window and door functions on driver's door do not work.

Franco2112
09-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Try this. Disconnect battery starting with the negative side- then the positive side+. Wait ten minutes. Then reconnect the positive+ side first then the negative side-. If no start check all fuses.

pontiacfanactic
09-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Did get it started but tach doesn't register and bogs out when throttled up. Heard it may be comfort control module. I unhooked positive assessory cable and it started but symptoms returned such as horn beeping and nostart and then it started with the same boggy performance and check engine light oil and brake warning lights on. Please help.:banghead:

Franco2112
09-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I had the same problem with my New Beetle. My first solution worked until the battery died again. The last time i could not get it to start, just crank over. Towed it into the dealership. Vag-Com found a faulty fuel pump relay switch. Right at $200 for diagnostic and part. With all your issues it sound to me to be a faulty wiring harness. Only Vag-Com can locate it.

pontiacfanactic
09-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Tried to do the battery as you said to do it and result was alarm going off when trying to start car. So I unhooked small cable on positive side of battery and then shorted on battery as helper turned car over and it started but still lunges when drove to tire shop, boggy performance. What is vag com? Is it a computer tested to read codes? If so could codes be retreived at a parts house that offers such services?

Franco2112
09-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Vag-Com is a computer software that reads the cars computer. You could purchase software and cable over the internet. About $300 bucks. These cars have so many issues that i find a Vag-Com scan is about 95% in finding a solution. Again with all the issues you are having a scan would be most helpful.
Franco

Add your comment to this topic!