Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 VW Passat

mgoblue24
07-01-2007, 01:22 AM
So I have had a 2000 VW Passat 1.8T (GLS) as my first car now for about 5-6 weeks now, and I love it. Sunroof, leather, monsoon sound, heated seats, aftermarket rims (I think 16 or 17 inch?). Black exterior/interior..but my friend backed into me, and I needed to get a whole new front end, so I finally got it back on Friday. Anyways, the guys didn't even fix the headlight, and now the hood rattles too, do you guys think that this will take them more than a day? I got a headlight fixed 2 days after I got the car, and that took like 10 minutes.

2nd of all, now I see why people say VW is horrible when it comes to electrical stuff. Why? Because my sunroof doesn't want to open anymore!! Great. I have to use that little tool in the console overhead to open it! Any idea on how to fix that, or how much it may cost? I got a quote that it may be like $50-$60 for the switch, and I guess when it comes to replacing it, I can basically do it myself. The guy showed me what you have to do basically, so maybe I can save myself some money right there. Everyone that I have talked to thus far, thinks its just the switch..and I have also heard that I'm going to be going through these switches, like as my mechanic put it, I'm going to be going through the turn-dial switch from my sunroof like "toilet paper".

Last couple of questions: Okay, so I wanted to get my windows tinted, and some 1 piece halo headlights for my car. My question is, I found these ones on ebay, and I was just wondering...are they any good, and is there really NO MODIFCATION needed? As of right now, I have the standard headlights in, with the standard H7 bulbs. I'll paste the link below to what I'm looking at.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-00-VW-PASSAT-4-5D-2-HALO-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-98-99_W0QQitemZ140133349628QQihZ004QQcategoryZ33710QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Please tell me that all I would have to do is just take my old ones out, put the new ones in, and I would be good to go?

godsspeed
01-18-2008, 09:27 AM
ebay and car parts= at your own risk.... you usually get what you pay for.... sure you'll hear of peoples great finds and success with ebay (ive had a few myself) but you'll also hear horror stories... At Your Own Risk.

Silverstone-Cold
02-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Before replacing the switch now or in the future I'd go to radio shack and get a contact cleaner called DeOxit D-5 (not any other brand), spray it on the switch contacts and give it a few fast turns. This will not only clean the switch which is usually the problem, but it will prevent it from getting dirty/corroded ever again. Even a new switch should be given a spraying to prevent it from developing this very common problem. I know of one guy who's sunroof opened by itself when he was far from home in January! Froze his ass off. :lol:

I use this product on all electrical contacts in my home and car, it actually make more electricity flow through the contacts by improving conductivity. It's the #1 cleaner among electronic tech's.

veedubmechanic
03-01-2008, 02:53 PM
what commonly fails on the switch is the electrical metal for the reverse (down and back into the roof function) usually burns out like a fuse. That = no back function. ALso very common issue is the sunroof rail cables break (that =1000 to fix because you cant replace the cables on 2001-older passats just the entire sunroof assembly)

Add your comment to this topic!