Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

passat that is slow

kyserroll
10-28-2006, 09:55 PM
I have a 99 passat. The timing belt broke. 11 valves were replaced. Now the car is so slow. What else might be wrong with the car. It ran fine before. Cam shaft? Valve sticking? My mechanic (different from the one who did the valves) says that the car is not exhausting correctly. He disconnected the exhaust and still no difference. I just need some direction as to what to do with this car.

kmohr3
10-29-2006, 07:50 AM
I would have someone double check the cam timing.

VW816
01-02-2007, 04:22 PM
I would have someone double check the cam timing.

i agree..if the timing belt broke and it ran fine before you fixed it i would probably say that the timing is off.

veedubmechanic
01-03-2007, 09:18 PM
If the cam timing was off it would set a check engine light for cam position sensor range/performance, or cam position timing over advanced.

Do a compression test (avg is 60-65psi / cyl)
Also did they replace the timing belt tensioner and all the rollers and water pump? If the belt roller was over torqued (15nM) than the tensioner cant properly tension the belt and a large loss in performance will occur.

kmohr3
01-03-2007, 11:30 PM
60 - 65 psi seems a little low for normal compression if you ask me. On my old A2 Jetta 8 valve RD motor I got between 190 - 200 psi per cylinder.

I had left the dealer by 1999, so I am unsure if they were still using the 4 cyl 16 valve motors. However, once I found a 16V that was running poorly after a head repair and after examining the motor found that one of the 2 cams was out of time - not by much either - it made a significant difference after resetting the cams to the proper position.

veedubmechanic
01-07-2007, 10:15 PM
60-65 psi is normal compression for the v6 32v engines, yea its low but its specs. I was amazed the 1st time also (I had a no start and checked compression and said yea it needs an engine, then looked up specs and found it is ok)

But with obd2 the ecm and cam position sensors will pick up incorrect cam timing within 5min or less of driving.

Add your comment to this topic!