Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Starting Problem

wppok
12-29-2005, 10:26 PM
December 29, 2005:
Hi there,
I have a 1996 Volkswagen Passat, 4 Cyl. The dash lights and all power equipment works fine, but the engine does not start. When I turn the key all the way to start I hear the engine cranking but it will not start. At the same time, I also see that the oil pressure indicator light and the battery indicator light stays on. The car was fine yesterday but when I tried to start it today, it won't start. Any helpful hints will be appreciated. Thanks.

December 30, 2005:
I tried to start the car again today. After a few unsuccessful attempts, I was able to start the car. The engine cranked and started. I left the car idle for a little while and then took it for a test drive. It stalled again while making a right turn during the drive. I tried few more times and it started again. Drove it back home and turned off the ignition. Turned the key back on and the engine started in the first attempt. Repeated it multiple times after that and it starts up in the first attempt. The problem seems to have been fixed, at least for now but I still do not know the root cause. Any ideas? Please let me know. Thanks.

veedubmechanic
12-30-2005, 08:15 PM
ever replace the ignition switch? timing belt

wppok
12-30-2005, 09:14 PM
ever replace the ignition switch? timing belt

Hi,
First of all, thanks for your reply. Regarding the ignition switch, I got it replaced from the local VW dealer only a few months (probably 4 months) ago as a part of the VW Passat recall for faulty ignition switches. So, the ignition switch is presumed to be relatively new. Regarding the timing belt, I do not think that I ever got it replaced. I bought the car in year 2003 with 83000 miles on it and do not remember ever replacing the timing belt. I will certainly look into this now. Hopefully that would resolve the problem. Thanks for your help.

Add your comment to this topic!