Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Any more ideas?

speediva
06-07-2002, 11:18 PM
Okay, here's what my car has been up to for the past week:

We knew something was wrong when acceleration went to sh!t and we knew there had to be a misfire on atleast one plug, so we went to work (we= my dad and I).

So here's what we discovered: The #1 spark plug and wire got flooded by oil. Why? b/c the valve cover gasket blew and drenched it all. Darn near filled the whole plug well! :( So we replaced the VCG. Still had a misfire.

Then we replaced the #1 plug and ALL the wires. Still there is a misfire. :(

Next on the list is to look at the rest of the plugs to see if one bit the dust from before when only 3 were working. Then I don't know what I'm gonna do. :(

Does ANYONE have any ideas of what else might be wrong?

speediva
06-09-2002, 10:39 PM
Replaced all spark plugs

Replaced cap and rotor

Repaired Air Filter intake hose

Now what's wrong??? :( :( :crying: :( :(

eeyore
06-11-2002, 09:54 AM
if you are still having problems, you could ask yourself "why did the gasket blow in the first place".

If you can't find the immediate solution to the problem, then I suggest you do a full service and diagnostic on the engine - if you've had a back-pressure on your oil line, then the valve cover gasket may be the least of your worries.

First thing to do would be replace your oil filter. They have an in-built pressure-relief valve in them. This should open if the filter gets clogged and therefore avoid an oil back-pressure. If the filter is clogged and the pressure valve didn't work, this will explain the gasket, but you'll then need to check the other oil seals and head gasket as well.

Second thing would be a compression test.

speediva
06-12-2002, 08:20 AM
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I kinda almost forgot about this thread! :o

Anyway, the #1 plug is still misfiring, and my dad just said that the other 3 are burning white (which just incase someone is following this and doesn't know what that means, it means they are burning HOT).

As for why the gasket blew in the first place. Well, the car is 10 years old. Was totalled once and rebuilt to road standards. Then I get my hands on my very first stick shift and I start to beat the bloody H#ll out of her. Okay, so I don't always abuse her, but I have had my fair share of fun with accelerating and squealing tire. I use full synthetic oil and change the filters everytime, just as you are supposed to. This problem came about rather suddenly, although I do remember my dad saying that there were a few oil spots in the driveway where my car usually goes before this all came about.

Looks like between my sickness and my car not running well, my vacation is going to be pushed back yet again. :(

eeyore
06-12-2002, 09:23 AM
Sounds like your engine is in need of drastic first aid.

Get the compression test done - this'll tell you roughly how much money it's going to cost to fix!!!!

speediva
06-12-2002, 07:43 PM
I gave in and took her to what I hope is a good mechanic.

They weren't even supposed to look at her until tomorrow, but I guess they were slow and did a lil check-up on her today. It's no wonder the fuel injector cleaner and high octane gas didn't help.... injector #2 was all corroded/bad/whatever happens to injectors. Hopefully they'll just be able to clean her up tomorrow, or we might have to wait to get a new part....

Thanks for all the suggestions, though! :D

boingo82
06-13-2002, 03:34 AM
Here's hoping it's just your injector! Mine had a bad injector when I found it on the lot (where it had been sitting for a full year) and they fixed it straightaway for me. It's been good since.

speediva
06-13-2002, 09:11 PM
Friggen $350+ for the part and installation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

That is so lame! And when my dad said he'd found a remanufactured part for 1/3 the price of the bosch part they wanted to install, and even though we had our doubts about the remanned part the guy basically thought we were nuts for trying to find him a better price on a part. But since not many places around here are willing to work on imports I basically have to suck it up until we find something else wrong and try another place. :rolleyes:

speediva
06-18-2002, 06:30 PM
She runs so quietly now! And notice the "RUNS" part?? ;)

So far the new #2 injector seems to have done the job. I guess it was running 180psi when the other 3 were running 175psi so it was just simply causing all sorts of garbage that way. :( But it's all better now, and it's nice to have a car again. :D Thanks everyone for the help!

Add your comment to this topic!