Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 1.8t engine

jraydblE
10-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Hey Er'body,

New to the group...thanks for letting me tag along...I have some knowledge w/Passats, however my engine is locked up cause I can't manually turn the crankshaft bolt w/ a breaker bar and w/ none of the accessory belts attached...anyway has anyone experienced this and replaced the engine or did you have the engine rebuilt? I'm really sure of which way I want to go. The head has already been rebuilt once according to my in laws. I guess he ran the engine too long w/o sufficient oil...would the pistons have hit any of the valves? Any help would be appreciated...

Thank you in advance,
Joe

veedubmechanic
10-14-2005, 10:51 PM
if he ran the car w/o oil than its time for a new engine, which requires a LOT of work.

jraydblE
10-16-2005, 08:59 PM
if he ran the car w/o oil than its time for a new engine, which requires a LOT of work.

I've started the work already, but I'm still not sure if I want to rebuild or just replace w/ new one.

veedubmechanic
10-17-2005, 10:58 PM
if you are going to keep the car a long time, well just replace with new (about 6,000 in parts long block with new turbo and lines).

before putitn money into it check the floor under the driver and passenger front seats for water damage (common problem for corrosion of wires and causing tcm or comfort module to fail) that will cost money

jraydblE
10-21-2005, 11:36 PM
if you are going to keep the car a long time, well just replace with new (about 6,000 in parts long block with new turbo and lines).

before putitn money into it check the floor under the driver and passenger front seats for water damage (common problem for corrosion of wires and causing tcm or comfort module to fail) that will cost money

Thanks a bunch for the tip...I actually found a guy here in SA, TX that will rebuild the engine for $1200...They've been in business for decades, very reputable. I'll let you know how things went...I should have the engine out and to the rebuilder by Monday, at least that's what I'm shootin' for.

Add your comment to this topic!