Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Blower Switch went bad ---- ideas?

northwestrally
05-13-2002, 11:52 AM
Without warning, my blower switch started acting up yesterday.

On the first four settings (off,1,2,3) there is no blower at all, but as soon as I switch it to "4", the fan comes on FULL BLAST.

Both the A/C & heater still work fine when the switch is on "4", and none of this has ever been a problem before. No other electrical problems anywhere else on the car, either.

I checked the fuses (the two 15-amp fuses located in the dash [below the power window switch]). Both fuses were fine. I wonder if I need to dismantle the heater-A/C switch area.

Could this problem be related to the fact that the LIGHTS for the heater buttons don't illuminate on occasion?

BTW - my "check engine" light is now on, too (just like it did for a few days last year before turning itself back off). Related problems?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards, Don Swier

boingo82
05-13-2002, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the club. Nearly every Nissan Primera/Infiniti G20/Nissan Sentra will have this problem at some time or other. Lucky for us it is simple to fix. It is, however, completely unrelated to the check engine light. It is also completely unrelated to the intermittent lights on your blower switches. As I understand it, the contacts on these lights are small and get dirty over time. Don't worry too much about it.

Go to your local Nissan or Infiniti dealer - Nissan might be cheaper - and ask for a new Blower Motor Resistor. It will cost under $30, most likely under $20.

For further instructions, go to SE-R.net (http://www.se-r.net/car_info/problems/blower_resistor.html)

Good luck,

Emily

northwestrally
05-13-2002, 10:12 PM
Too cool !!! Thank you for the prompt answer(s)!!!! Wishin' now I had an FSM, too!

I managed to get my commodious cranium under the glove box to get a look at the blower motor.

Once I located the blower motor, I wasn't sure if the resistor is the doohicky up near where the dash meets the floorboard OR if it's the thingy mounted under the dash nearer to the passenger seat. Do you have that info, too?

Your help is much appreciated!

-Regards, Don Swier

boingo82
05-13-2002, 11:15 PM
Well, it was a year and a half ago when I replaced mine, so I don't remember too well. I do know it was a little square dealie about 1.5"x 1.5" and flat. Also, you do need a screwdriver to get it out. It has contacts on it - those are the metal strips like on a nintendo game. Hope that helps.

Emily

nis.k.a.
05-24-2002, 02:09 AM
The blower resistor is located behind the glove box. It's actually against the lower portion of the firewall. The resistor is a board with contacts that simply fit male to female. It does look like a Nintendo cartridge only not as big and the contacts are exposed.

Add your comment to this topic!