Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 1.8T Passat, lil help?

mjones95
08-01-2005, 10:01 PM
about 4 days ago my engine light came on as i pulled up to a stop light. The car wasn't shaking and there wasn't any noticeable loss of power. However, since then, the car is burning gas extremely fast.

i was able to get OBD codes:
- P1136 "Long Term Fuel Trim Add.Fuel,Bank1 System too Lean"
- P0303 "Misfire in Cylinder #3"

From what i have been able to gather from info online (and it's been really tough to find) it seems like the car needs more fuel to the engine (ie. a new fuel pump) and/or a tune up, which was recommended by the person i spoke to at the car shop.

My questions are:

A: Does anyone have experience with these codes? If so, what did you do?

B: If i need to replace the Fuel Pump, how hard of a job is that?

C: Are there any simple solutions?

Thanks in advance.

veedubmechanic
08-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Dont replace the fuel pump.. Its not that.
Most likely check for vacuum leaks broken or cracked vacuum lines. (very very common on 1.8t passats under the intake manifold and on the side by the coolant resivour)

If you dont find any (which you problably will) then Your MAF sensor is problably shot (covered under warranty 7yr 70kmiles)

But its always a good idea to replace your fuel filter and plugs every 30-40k miles for maintenence and gas mileage.

passatGLwgn
08-23-2005, 07:34 PM
Most likely check for vacuum leaks broken or cracked vacuum lines. (very very common on 1.8t passats under the intake manifold and on the side by the coolant resivour)

If you dont find any (which you problably will) then Your MAF sensor is problably shot (covered under warranty 7yr 70kmiles)

But its always a good idea to replace your fuel filter and plugs every 30-40k miles for maintenence and gas mileage.

Also, check your oxygen sensor . !

00Psst
08-25-2005, 08:00 AM
From what i have been able to gather from info online (and it's been really tough to find)

Good sources of info online:

www.b5one.com
www.passatworld.com
www.dub-tech.com

The first two are Passat specific btw.

Mike

mjones95
10-23-2005, 09:50 PM

Hey, i just wanted to reply to you guys for the help. After a few months of looking around for holes in the vacuum lines and having a mechanic take a look i finally found the culprit! Here is a pic i took of it,

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/360684Closer_look-med.jpg

It actually had a HUGE hole in the crease. it is the "angled hose," that runs off of the intake manifold and connects to the "booster pump" according to a VW guy i spoke to when i showed him the hose. They had a tough time finding a replacement and actually told me there are apprx 148 on back order (for God knows what???).

Since i removed it, i and the new hose has not arrived yet, i went out and bought a hose to connect the pump to the manifold as a temporary solution. The car sounded better immediately.

At first the engine light stayed on (about 2 days), then it went off. I read somewhere that the 1.8t sometimes takes a while before the engine light goes off. Now i am hearing some other noises but at least the engine light is off and i can start to replace the other vac hoses as i am sure they need to be changed.

Thanks again!

Add your comment to this topic!