Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sunroof leak???

jbrig
06-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Hello,

I have a 99 Passat and the carpet under the front passenger seat is wet. It is actually the padding that is wet, the carpet is sometimes damp.

I found the front two drainage holes and cleaned them out, but I still have the leak.

Does this car have rear drainage holes? If so, where and how do you get to them?

Where do the rear drainage lines terminate? Under the car or in the bumper?

Thank you,

scmm
07-30-2005, 11:17 PM
I have the same problem but mine leaks at the rear as well. I have been told by VW service centre that it's a cracked sunroof cassette. Has anyone else had this problem? :mad:

stephaniev
12-01-2005, 09:35 AM
I have the same problem but mine leaks at the rear as well. I have been told by VW service centre that it's a cracked sunroof cassette. Has anyone else had this problem? :mad:

My Passat has the same problem...but from what my dealer told me yesterday, it's a design flaw - and as a result, looks like my Passat is totaled!! All could have been avoided with a shot of compressed air in the drain hoses every now and again.

Yesterday morning after a heavy overnight rain, shortly after leaving my home in the car, while on the road, I noticed SLOSHING in the passenger seat well. Lots of water! The car started losing power, acting oddly...I called the dealer from the road, brought the car over.

There are 4 drain plugs for the sunroof - who knew??? The drains plugged over time...so when the rain pounded on the car, some got under the sunroof, and did not drain. The water backed into the car and collected under the passenger seat where some of the key electronics for the car are located.

End result...carpet totaled. Computer totaled. Wiring shot.
Still waiting for the final results, but was told by the dealer to contact my insurance agent. Think I'll contact VW too! 1999 Passat in MINT condition, with 32K miles. I'm still in shock.

oregonfarmgirl
03-05-2008, 02:34 PM
wow...i have the same problem..I haven't had the computer damage that I know of, but will shoot some air in the hoses. Where are the hoses located at?

lonestar73
04-29-2008, 02:51 PM
A few months ago I noticed my dashboard and passenger floor were wet after a rain and couldn't find the source either. Last week I was driving a friend to work in the rain and rain dripped down on her lap. She folded down the visor and water was leaking in around the light. I never would have thought to have looked there if I wasn't in the car. It was already dry an hour later, but the car already smells foul.

Add your comment to this topic!