Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

air flow sensor

cybersecretary
05-20-2005, 07:23 PM
2000 passat
one mechanic said it cost 98 bucks and 235(labor) for the whole job
another said it takes no time to install, but if my car run fine leave it alone.
what's up?
d

boschmann
05-22-2005, 10:56 AM
It's very easy to replace, they should charge less than an hour. The part price varies by where you buy it. If it is causing the check engine light to come on you should replace it as it can couse damage to other engine components. It is a common problem but can often be misdiagnosed, so be sure they are competent.

cybersecretary
05-22-2005, 11:35 AM
thanks, for the reply...
they want to charge me 137 in labor (68 and hour!)... 98 for the part total 235.

when the other guy said it would take a few minutes i was sceptical.
i am so tired of being taken advantage of...

guess i won't use that garage ever again...

should i go and call them on it? tell them they are full of it.
they already took 42 bucks from me to tell me what the problem was.

how long does it take to check it on the computer??... they had my car for almost an hour. thus the 42 $

diane

veedubmechanic
05-23-2005, 09:42 PM
MAf sensor on a 1.8t takes at least 30-45min because you have to dis-assemble the airbox to take out the maf sensor... V6 passat takes maybe 15min.

equi57
06-01-2005, 09:34 AM
I just had mine replaced. I had 2 options. The expensive one was to get a brand new Bosch afs. The cost with labour was $400. The other option was a rebuilt one. It had the original housing with a new sensor.$125 labour inc. The car runs great I saved some $$ and all is well.
good luck
Marty

cybersecretary
06-03-2005, 07:14 PM
thanks for the advice everyone.
I wrote them a letter and they called me to come and have a meeting about the labor charges and as it turns out , my passat is one of the cars that VW is granting the AFS be covered under warranty! < 70,000 miles so they will do the job for free and he will see if i can get a refund for the diagnostics!

so it never hurts to write to the owner of a dealership about ones' concerns.

If i had blown them off and had it repaired by someone else i may never have known that i could get it done for free.

I did read something on the net about it may be covered by warrenty but the years and model were vague....couldn't get the details....

so i will have them do the work and then think twice before i take my car to them in the future

thanks
diane

brit1066
08-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Had the MAF sensor problem over 2 years ago in Chicago, dealer wanted $500 to fix it, after asking VW for help and getting kicked in the pants I did not have it fixed. The diag cost $98.
After moving to Tennessee I had to get it fixed to get my state plates. Then to my amazement I received a letter from VW saying that out of the goodness of their hearts they would extend the warranty on the MAF and if I had already had it fixed they would refund the cost plus the diag costs.
They promised to pay up in 90 days, after 120 days I asked where the money was, they apologised and said I would get the check in two weeks. After another month when I asked were the check was they were very rude and told me I would get it when they were good and ready.
I searched the web for a copy of the VW annual report, in the report I found the e-mail of the Pres of VW in Germany. I sent an e-mail to the pres and received a reply apologising for my treatment by VW of N America and also saying I would receive a call from someone at VW N. America.
I did get a call from a senior person in Customer Service who fell over herself apologising. I blasted her company for their cavalier attitude and sheer arrogance, I got the check in a week. However they had omitted to pay some of the State sales tax so I called the lady in Cust Service who explained that it was company policy NOT to pay sales tax.
EXCUSE ME.
I told her that I would be only too happy to e-mail the Pres of VW again over this and this time her name would be prominent in my e-mail.
I received the additional funds 3 days later.

Add your comment to this topic!