Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

interior smell

martha carranza
03-29-2005, 01:09 AM
hello all

I have a 2002 Passat with 52K miles. Recently, I began experiencing the same problem. The "smell" appears to be coming thru the vents and it appears to be exhaust fumes or oil. While it is not a constant smell it usually occurs at stops, but it also occurs at full speed. Does anyone know if the 2002 model also has the same design flaw mentioned by "jbuster" such that the interior air intake and filter are in the engine bay? I have already taken the car to the dealer twice and they cannot find anything wrong.

boschmann
03-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Small leak at valve cover gasket that drips onto exhaust & vaporizes, leaving no trace.

Interpreter
04-18-2005, 10:33 AM
I am having the same problem with my 1999 VW Passat with 93k. The dealership replaced the valve cover gasket but I still smell the oil... I am at a loss for what to do. Could it be the oil pump?

Thanks for the help!

Terp

boschmann
04-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Look & see if it's still dripping oil, it wouldn't be the first time a replacement gasket leaked.

ksm1213
04-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Look & see if it's still dripping oil, it wouldn't be the first time a replacement gasket leaked.

my car also allows exterior smell to come through even i press the "re-circulate" button which works well before.
is the buton to be replaced or the sealant gone ?
thanks

Add your comment to this topic!