Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

TDI/Diesel killing me!

jpdmcm
03-24-2005, 11:05 AM
I have a 97 Passat TDI and every time I come to a stop I have to push the air re-circulation button to keep the fumes out of the cabin. Every garage I've gone to says the car is putting out normal emissions and pressure tests reveal no exhaust system leaks. It's a great car - but this is enough to make me hate it! Any ideas?

ericlr
03-24-2005, 04:03 PM
I have the same problem with my 2000 passat 1.8T. One reply to my post suggested a manifold leak in the engine compartment that makes its way into the vent ductwork. Another reply stated that he has the same problem and that it is a design flaw. Regular engine fumes make their way into the vent system because the vent air intake is in the engine compartment and too close to the engine itself(I guess this is what he means.)
My passat has 85k on it, and the fumes have gotten worse as the engine ages. All engines loosen up with wear and tear and with that more fumes escape instead of making their way down the exhaust route.

I would very interested to see if many passat owners have this same experience. If I had known the car was going to choke me to death and there's nothing I can do about it I would have never bought it! It's become a love/hate relationship. It's possible enough reason not to buy future VW's.

boschmann
03-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Most common source of these fumes is oil leaking from the valve cover and dripping directly onto the exhaust. The oil is vaporized & leaves very little trace, it is most noticeably when you stop.

Add your comment to this topic!