Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 passat intermediate shaft broken

jerre boling
03-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Need advice desperately.
I took my recently purchased 2000 Passat to a dealer to replace an oil pump. It was also due for a timing belt, and they discovered the timing gear needed to be replaced due to wear. I also had some leaky gaskets and seals replaced.
After the repairs, as I was leaving the parking lot, there was a loud clunk noise. The shop tore the motor back down, and the service rep told me that the mechanic forgot to replace a "hydraulic valve" and they would cover all repairs. After a couple of more days, they discovered that the intermediate shaft was broken. They now deny any liability saying that sludge build up due to lack of maintenance was the culprit.
Does this all sound logical? I feel someone is getting the better of me and dont feel good about it.
Please advise. Thank you!

veedubmechanic
03-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Oil sludge buildup has nothing to do with axles breaking. And vw's dont have intermediate shafts. They have a single axle.

jerre boling
03-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Im a little confused. Dont have a broken axle, I have an engine with bent valves, and a broken intermediate (or maybe intermittant) shaft. I've been told both.

veedubmechanic
03-21-2005, 10:01 PM
THe 1.8t has 2 camshafts and 20 valves. There is no "intermediate" shaft in the engine.

jerre boling
03-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Still confused, why do mechanics at VW keep telling me my intermediate shaft is broken? It apparently runs the oil pump among other things.

boschmann
03-24-2005, 04:50 PM
What engine do you have?

Add your comment to this topic!