Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 04:16 PM   #1
crankshaftman
AF Newbie

Cool Slow Starters are great movers ?

Hye Fellas
I have a ThunderBird 96 Lx
I just (less than a week or so ) got it and drove it 6 hrs to bring it home. At that time things seemed pretty well. Then all of a sudden the Check Engine Light came on. Diagnostic Code was read (it came from 2 sides of engine) and Mech told me , its nothing to loose Sleep on. Couple of days passed, and now when I start the car, it DOES not change gears immediately . There is a "lag" , sometimes short and sometimes not so short (where the car just idles slowly) & then it abruplty "picks up" after that ...runs ( and runs fine).
Any association with the "check engine" light and this prob. Is this prob solvable ? or serious trans prob ?.....I hope this was'nt another damned lemon......
Someone to enlighten .... ?
Thanks folks....Enjoy the Easter !!!
crankshaftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 05:00 PM   #2
RavenProjecT
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to RavenProjecT
Re: Slow Starters are great movers ?

does this happen when you shift out of park into any gear all the time? or is it just when shifting into/out of reverse or drive? do you "start and ride" or do you let the car warm up for 5-10 min? do you notice any difference when doing so? is your car a 3.8 or 4.6 and have you ever had it serviced/flushed/replaced filters? details are necessary for diagnosis.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:32 PM   #3
crankshaftman
AF Newbie

Hi there
Thanks for your promptness:
Here are the clarifications ,Sir:

* does this happen when you shift out of park into any gear all the time? or is it just when shifting into/out of reverse or drive?

It happens when I shift out from P to D. I have'nt distinctly noticed when I go D to R. I'd say only from P to D

*do you "start and ride" or do you let the car warm up for 5-10 min? do
you notice any difference when doing so?

I owned a manual Trans (old 87 Corsica) so I always am set to go. i.e. I always "Start and Ride". I will like you suggested , try the latter.

*is your car a 3.8 or 4.6 and have you ever had it serviced/flushed/replaced filters?
It a 3.8 V6 . Have'nt replaced the filters.......would that be a possible reason ?

I just got the Car for a whopping $3.3 Gr "as is" . I am not sure now looking back , if it was the wisest thing.... the only reason that being done to avoid those costly monthlies that dealers were asking for Newner Hyundais,Toy'a etc . I had a passion for the T Bird ...to be my first "good for good car" ..hope it will be so .

Thanks again for your help....
Sam
Old 04-15-2004, 04:00 PM   #4
RavenProjecT
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to RavenProjecT

when i say filters, i meant the trans filter and the intercooler filter for the trans. if the the trans has never been serviced, flushed, filters checked/replaced, it 'could' be a simpler solution. always start with the most obvious or easiest solutions and work up from there.

sounds like a belt or plate in the tranny doing it, but the only way to know is to have it pulled out and inspected, which means $$$. you should have an IRS suspension as well, and Ford recommends that the IRS bushings be inspected at 80k and replaced at 100k miles. soooo... the lag (and possibly a "clunk" sound when dropping gears from P to D) can be attributed to that (the bushings fail to support and absorb the shock within the tranny), therefore lagging and/or 'kick/clunk' when plates engage. just a thought. . . let us know how it works out.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:34 PM   #5
crankshaftman
AF Newbie

Smile

Thanks a plenty. I 'll have the mechanic check it out at ease. Hope its not something that demands fast attention...can buy a few months time.
Thanks
Sam

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird