Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
skjgd8833
AF Newbie

coolant leak and rusty steam - PICS

Hi all,

My 1999 Windstar LX recently developed a coolant leak such that the entire contents of the overflow reservoir was evacuated.

Additional symptoms are as follows:
- perimeter of intake manifold is rusty brown colored, likely from steam that was expelled when the engine became overheated last time I drove it (SEE THE PICS FOR THIS, BELOW)
- empty overflow reservoir
- bottom of overflow reservoir is sludged up badly
- no frothy/milky oil from the engine or the tranny (checked dipsticks and engine fill cap)
- no steam out the exhaust
- worst rust colored deposits are near the water pump

So, what's my next step? I was thinking of doing this:
- flush the cooling system
- refill and check for leaks
- if no obvious leaks, replace radiator (I suspect possible tranny fluid contamination)

Any advice? I need to know whether to spend the time on this or to move on. How can I tell if it's NOT a blown head gasket?

Thanks so much.

https://googledrive.com/host/0B9kCIt.../photo%201.JPG
https://googledrive.com/host/0B9kCIt.../photo%202.JPG
https://googledrive.com/host/0B9kCIt.../photo%203.JPG
https://googledrive.com/host/0B9kCIt.../photo%204.JPG
https://googledrive.com/host/0B9kCIt.../photo%205.JPG
skjgd8833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Mustang_Driver
AF Regular

Re: coolant leak and rusty steam - PICS

could be a blocked radiator or your thermostat is stuck closed causing it to overheat but if everything seems to be ok i would pressure test the system( make sure there are no other leaks),flush the system, change the thermostat, then fill with coolant if everything checks out ok, but if it overheated you may have head damage hence the pressure test or compression test hope it all works out
Old 12-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Ed_Strong
Son of a Mechanic

My first suspect would be the coolant bypass tube... it's the metal pipe that runs the lenght of the intake ports under the plenum. It tend to corrode at the seams and leak.

I would fill the system with plain water and look for leaks, if none are found then run the engine to operating temp and look/smell for leaks or steam coming out. When problems are found and fixed, then flush and clean the cooling system properly.

Judging by the rust stains you're gonna need a new water pump and thermostat asap!

Current Rides:
2018 Honda Pilot EX-L - 3.5L V6 -{|}- 2004 Toyota Matrix XR 4WD 1.8 I4

Past Rides:
2000 Ford Windstar LX - 3.8L V6 SFI - {|} - 2003 Ford Expedition XLT - 4.6L V8 SFI
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS - 3.5L V6 SFI - {|} - 1991 Chevrolet Corsica LT - 3.1L V6 MFI
1995 Dodge Grand Caravan SE - 3.3L V6 MFI - {|} - 1980 Ford Mustang - 3.3L L6 1BBL

----------------------------------------------
Ed_Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
skjgd8833
AF Newbie

So today I filled the overflow reservoir with water, started the engine, and waited for about 3 minutes.

The problem spot was obvious - gushing, not trickling, but gushing coolant from the water pump area - if you are facing the car, passenger side behind the intake plenum.

Does this ring any bells? Do I need a new water pump?

If I need a new pump, what else should I replace while I'm in there?

Thanks!
skjgd8833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Ed_Strong
Son of a Mechanic

You'll need the Water Pump and Thermostat... since rust is in every nook and cranny inside the engine I would be weary of other metal parts failing like the Bypass Tube and "Y" Pipe and also the Heater Core Pipes. They could be fine for all I know, I guess time will tell.

I gotta warn you tho, a water pump job in this vehicle is not fun, it's very tedious and time consuming, but it can be done if you're good at turning wrenches and having common sense!

Before you get started taking stuff appart first flush, flush, flush the system thoroughly till all signs of rust are gone and then get a good radiator flush detergent and flush, flush, flush again... don't forget to flush the heater core separately!

You may have to replace all hoses if the flush doesn't get all the rust out. Any rust left in the system will contaminate the new coolant and cause all new part to fail/rust prematurely.

Current Rides:
2018 Honda Pilot EX-L - 3.5L V6 -{|}- 2004 Toyota Matrix XR 4WD 1.8 I4

Past Rides:
2000 Ford Windstar LX - 3.8L V6 SFI - {|} - 2003 Ford Expedition XLT - 4.6L V8 SFI
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS - 3.5L V6 SFI - {|} - 1991 Chevrolet Corsica LT - 3.1L V6 MFI
1995 Dodge Grand Caravan SE - 3.3L V6 MFI - {|} - 1980 Ford Mustang - 3.3L L6 1BBL

----------------------------------------------
Ed_Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

>The problem spot was obvious - gushing, not trickling, but gushing coolant from the water pump area - if you are facing the car, passenger side behind the intake plenum.

I have a '96, so I can only speak from that perspective. "Behind the intake plenum", so me suggests that your leak isn't anywhere near the water pump, since the water pump is mounted to the front of the engine, just above the crankshaft pully, while your leak sounds to closer to the firewall.

If that's accurate, then I'd guess you have a problem with the pipes and hoses that carry coolant to the heater. There is a pipe that comes directly from the top of the water pump that can also corrode and leak. You need to pin point the hole, which can be a little difficult for those pipes behind the engine. Right now I doubt you need to do anything to the water pump or the thermostat to correct this major leak... You may have (a) smaller leak(s) that is/are responsible for the "sludge" in the overflow tank, but that's an entirely different matter.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar