Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 03:14 PM   #1
90gs
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to 90gs
Coilover question (I'm new to suspension..)

i ordered some dropzone coilovers.

someone told me that with coilovers you still have your stock springs and coilovers are just a really small spring that compresses your stock springs extra and thats how it gets lowered... i thought u took out your stock spring and the new coilover had its own new spring that was stiffer and smaller, was i right?
90gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:01 PM   #2
94civic
AF Enthusiast

you are right, whoever told you that crap about you keeping you stock spring and adding a smaller spring to compress it is an idiot!!!
94civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
90gs
AF Enthusiast

k good.. he sounded wrong, i dont want my ugly ass black dirty filthy stock springs still in there (car has 198,000 miles so it has 198,000 miles worth of filth on them) if im spending hella money to lower my car.. i want to see sexy shiny red springs
Old 06-11-2003, 09:25 PM   #4
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Quote:
Originally posted by 90gs
k good.. he sounded wrong, i dont want my ugly ass black dirty filthy stock springs still in there (car has 198,000 miles so it has 198,000 miles worth of filth on them) if im spending hella money to lower my car.. i want to see sexy shiny red springs
Hella money on lowering? Not with Dropzones. Not to sound like a dick or anything, but spending hella money on suspension is dropping $1000+ on some true full coilovers.

I can understand your need though, if I got something like some shiney red springs, I'd want to show them off too!
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:16 AM   #5
90gs
AF Enthusiast

thats not all im buying but whateva

are dropzones good? i dont really care about ride quality, i care about ease of installation and longevity.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:22 AM   #6
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:

are dropzones good? i dont really care about ride quality, i care about ease of installation and longevity.

get ground control for your car if available....they use einbach manufactured springs......

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:28 AM   #7
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Quote:

I figured that isn't all your buying, but if you plan to get decent compnents (such as sway and strut bars) I wouldn't skimp out on the most important items which are the springs and shocks. Dropezones are known to be harsh riding, and quite noisey, producing annoying squeaks after a while. Basically when it comes to this stuff, you get what you pay for, that's just what I've learned and experienced from it at least.

Ease of installation, it should be fairly easy, longevity, again I dunno if I'd trust those coils to last as long as others. I'd want something that's warranted decently. Make sure you match those DZ's with at least AGX KYB or better yet, Koni Yellow shocks. Those coils will for certain blow out your stock struts and in as little as the same day you put them on, depends on how far you lower the coils and how hard you drive on them.

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 06-12-2003, 02:18 PM   #8
CtrlAltDel
AF Newbie

Quote:
get ground control for your car if available....they use einbach manufactured springs......
Yes they are good, but that is a trend right now.. and I personally don't want what a lot of people have from AF. I also love TEIN. I recommend getting a set of TEIN SS, Flex, or even RA.

The flex's are very nice, but for like $400 more you can get the RA's, which are godlike
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 05:10 PM   #9
90gs
AF Enthusiast

hm what happens when ur stock shocks blow out.. bumpier ride?

i think it looks fricken sick when someone in an accord dumped to the ground comes around the corner and they have a lotta bounce to them, looks like they're going way faster than they are...

i heard that if your springs are too stiff and u hit a bump going around a sharp corner your back and can bounce up and youll lose it and spin out?
Old 06-17-2003, 12:29 AM   #10
Spectre927
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Spectre927
A trend? Ground Control? A trend is big fat wings, or army pants, or something that just seems "cool". Ground Control, considering the price, is pretty good. There's a reason a lot of people have them. Another thing, where does everyone get all this money? $1500 for suspension? Why don't you just buy S2000s or Type S's? I can barely afford Ground Control with my car payment and insurance.
Spectre927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 02:21 AM   #11
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Spectre927
A trend? Ground Control? A trend is big fat wings, or army pants, or something that just seems "cool". Ground Control, considering the price, is pretty good. There's a reason a lot of people have them. Another thing, where does everyone get all this money? $1500 for suspension? Why don't you just buy S2000s or Type S's? I can barely afford Ground Control with my car payment and insurance.
For me personally, it came in the form of getting a 2nd job so I could have extra to save for things like my $850 Tein suspension. Buy an S2000 though? Maybe in a few years from now when I could better afford one, right now I'm happy with my Civic.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 06-17-2003, 10:39 AM   #12
TheNotoriousMogg
AF's #1 Bad Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheNotoriousMogg Send a message via Yahoo to TheNotoriousMogg
Yeah man someone BS'ed you. You are correct, did you by chance order shocks also, its a good idea so you don't blow your factory struts

thegrumpysergeant.net
TheNotoriousMogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:05 PM   #13
90gs
AF Enthusiast

my struts got changed right before i bought the car and ive seen them in jcwhitney (rice mag i know) so im not sure if theyre good enough or not. if my stock struts blow what happens, just bouncier ride?
Old 06-17-2003, 05:48 PM   #14
TheNotoriousMogg
AF's #1 Bad Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheNotoriousMogg Send a message via Yahoo to TheNotoriousMogg
Quote:
my struts got changed right before i bought the car and ive seen them in jcwhitney (rice mag i know) so im not sure if theyre good enough or not. if my stock struts blow what happens, just bouncier ride?

LOL looks bad though....and can have an effect on your axle if you hit a pot hole or something from what I understand

thegrumpysergeant.net
TheNotoriousMogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 08:25 PM   #15
90gs
AF Enthusiast

what do u mean looks bad?