Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #1
BROTHERSINBROWNCC
AF Newbie

Question Rim And Tire Replacement Question?

I HAVE A 2000 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER V-8 WITH 20" HELO CONFUSION RIMS. I RECENTLY HAD TO REPLACE THE RACK AND PINION, AND BOTH UPPER AND LOWER BALL JOINTS. DID ADDING OF THE 20" RIMS CONTRIBUTE AN OVER LOAD OF STRESS ON THESE COMPONENTS ULTIMATELY LEADING TO THE DAMAGE? AFTER $1700 IN WARRANTY WORK, I HAVE REPLACED THE OEM RIMS AND TIRES. I ALSO HAD TO REPLACE BRAKE SHOES ALL AROUND. THE SHOES WERE ONLY A YEAR OLD AND I ONLY DRIVE THE VEHICLE APPROXIMATELY 30 MILES A DAY. IF I DECIDE TO KEEP THE RIMS, WOULD I NEED TO REPLACE THE BRAKE SYSTEM TO HANDLE THE STRESS. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

ADRIAN - ILLINOIS
BROTHERSINBROWNCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
bumpinkicker04
AF Regular

I just wanted to let you know I had to replace the rack and pinion, and the balljoints on my 2001 last winter. I still have the stock 15 inch rims. I went to have an alignment and they told me I needed them. I was of course a little cautious but I had it checked by another mechanic and he told me the same thing. And about 2 months ago i had to replace the rear leaf springs because 2 of the leaves in the pack broke in half. And in regards to your brakes there are a number of factors that contribute to premature brake wear. It could be a problem with your calipers. your rotors, or putting on oversize wheels. When you put larger rims on a vehicle, even if they weigh less than your stock wheel, it moves the rotating mass out farther which puts more strain on brakes and other driveline components. I believe they recommend only adding 2 inches to your stock wheel size. Hope this answers some questions.
bumpinkicker04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
joseph2000
AF Newbie

Re: Rim And Tire Replacement Question?

i am looking at geting a set of 20'' wheels for my truck and i need to know what the offset is for a 2000 mountaineer. do any of you know?
joseph2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer