Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to boostjunkie333
near catasprophic failure =(

so, i was going down the road today, and apparently one of the lines on the oil cooler was low to the ground, and worked itself so low that it started dragging the ground...who knows how long, and on my way to town earlier this afternoon i noticed my engine running funny. Then i noticed my oil light came on, which never happens...

so, i try to make it to a nearby gas station to get a little oil and i almost get there and the engine starts making a terrible grinding sound and is knocking like HELL, so i cut the engine as fast as i could and steered it down the rd and into the gas station. i parked it, and looked underneath the car, and everything was covered in oil. so i had my gf start the car if only for a few seconds to see if i could quickly see the problem(after i put 3 qrts more oil in, of coarse). when she did, i looked underneath and saw oil literally spraying out of the line that goes from the oil filter to the oil cooler, right in the middle, like as fast as it could. so i patch it with duct tape to make it down the road less than a mile to her parents house. i go to advance in a diff. car, and get some hose, come back, repair the hose(in the dark, and rain) and now its running just fine like before, except it now has the most terrible knock noise...like i drove it home and it knocked like hell, but it held together...

it wont be driven again until after its rebuilt, of coarse...but what could have happened? i know, when i pulled into the gas station and removed the oil cap, it was smoking...

its being rebuilt in mid january or so...
Hahn stage IV S16G-Portfueler w/400cc inj-1:1 Aeromotive FPR-Split sec fuel controller-Walbro 255lph FP-240cc inj-Hahn fuel mapper-JE pistons(8.1:1)-Total Seal rings-Eagle rods-ARP studs-AEM filter-C&R radiator-Hahn 3''downpipe & cat-Thermal Eng. 3''catback-LUK clutch & flywheel-Eibach springs-Eibach offset bushings-KYB GR2 struts-Strut bars-Lower rear tie bar-GReddy boost controller-Apexi T timer-Powerslot rotors-Gloshift gauges
boostjunkie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse
Re: near catasprophic failure =(

You just cooked a rod bearings. If the oil light came on you should have cut the motor immediately, dont even slow down if at all possible and you probably could have probably saved the motor.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

Oh ya it's gone. Lack of oil for even a split second can do severe damage.

The oil lights on car come on when they start getting low and/or low pressure (depending on car). So it usually gives you some time. But with it spraying like it was, there was no saving it.

Sucks dude. Start that rebuild

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

The oil light comes on in our cars around 5psi. So when that thing cuts on you dont have but a few short seconds to save it.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
vanilla gorilla
AF Enthusiast

+1. If you see the light throw it in nuetral and shut her down. Sucks about your motor though.

'99 Spyder 2.4 5-speed - Red/black,14b,slow
'96 Eclipse GST 5-speed - Paint
www.myspace.com/ballsoutperformance
vanilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Well you know...it was a matter of time before i pulled it off the road and began tearing it down. itll be december or early jan b4 i get the money im getting to be able to buy the parts and machine labor.

So, here she will sit until then.

But, one more question, it drove home fine last night, just knocks pretty good. Later in the year when it comes time for me to take it to Fayetteville NC(2 1/2hr trip) would i be able to make it there? It only has to make it there and then its being torn down and rebuilt...i mean other than the fact that it might crap out on me on the way, in which case i can get a tow truck to carry it the rest of the way, will it really hurt anything to do that?
Hahn stage IV S16G-Portfueler w/400cc inj-1:1 Aeromotive FPR-Split sec fuel controller-Walbro 255lph FP-240cc inj-Hahn fuel mapper-JE pistons(8.1:1)-Total Seal rings-Eagle rods-ARP studs-AEM filter-C&R radiator-Hahn 3''downpipe & cat-Thermal Eng. 3''catback-LUK clutch & flywheel-Eibach springs-Eibach offset bushings-KYB GR2 struts-Strut bars-Lower rear tie bar-GReddy boost controller-Apexi T timer-Powerslot rotors-Gloshift gauges
Old 09-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Do not drive that car anymore, its done. Your lucky it hasn't thrown the rod already

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 09-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

gotcha.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

Wow... I certainly hope it's parked now after that... Time to start planning out a new motor I guess.
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
gthompson97
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97

DO NOT EVEN START IT UP.

If you're LUCKY (and very lucky) all you did was smoke the rod and/or cam bearings. But by the sounds of you running it without oil pressure for that long probably scored the cylinder walls, crank journals, and rod bearing journals, cams, and cam journals. In other words, you're fucked.

97 Eclipse GST

gthompson97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
PlyLaser93
AF Newbie

AGREED!!!....You are way off the deep end here! if you scored your journals. i would suggest getting a new block of even a known good junk yard motor (if you can find one) and rebuild that motor in the meantime. its easier to just pull the old one and put the new one right back into the engine bay! because if your rebuilding it, it will be a few days or even weeks before you can put that motor back in. and by then you may forget how some things go back together(or not).

But i could be fun to take it in a field and do some donuts and blow that motor and put the new one in afterward. You mind as well have some fun with the busted motor. It would make the whole situation a little brighter!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

lol...

well i mean, i have two other cars that im driving, so im not pressed for time...

so, if time isnt an issue, and im going to rebuild near the end of this year when i have the spare money, then i can still re use my engine correct? I had actually planned to have it machined and bored over...so the block should be ok since its getting a makeover right? meaning, i dont nec. need to buy a new one?

yeah i mean, the oil lamp was prob on for about 3 or 4 mins, and i hadnt even noticed it and when i did i turned the key off and rolled into a nearby gas station =/

when i cranked it again, on the way home it started getting pretty noisy

in january ill have about $3k set aside to spend on it...so im not worried about that =) hopefully she will live again
Old 10-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #13
gthompson97
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97

you won't know anything for sure until you pull it apart..you may need a new block, you may not, it all depends on what went on inside the motor

97 Eclipse GST

gthompson97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #14
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

this is true.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic