Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 12:36 PM   #1
kees45
AF Newbie

Angry intermiitent security light, cuases no start condition Aalso have brake issue

intermittant condition of security light in message center. Car may or may not start. Twice flashing car wont start. Checked all fuses. OK. After fuses check no parblems for 2 says. Then same thing happened. Was advised to disconnect + side of battery overnight. Did that. Next nmorning reconnected battery. Car starts fine. No message. Did phone dealer. Wass told to bring car in when security light is on. Otherwise they cannot diagnose.
Also have brake issue. Front Brake been turned and pads replaced at 56000km because of pulsating. Problem re occurred within 10000km. Dealre fixed again, turned etc. Still problems., dealer did rear brakes, still problems. In order to fix I need 4 new rotors and pads. Dealer and GM contriburte it to normal wear and tear. Dont trust dealer anymore. Please help with security light issue. Apprciate your comments and suggestions.
kees45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
billyo69
AF Enthusiast

The rotors suck on theses and most cars.Once someone posted that all lug nuts shoud be torqed the same to prevent rotor warping and since i started doing that my rotors have lasted quite a bit longer.As far as the security light the same thing has happened on my 01 although it has never failed to start. and i never did anything about it as it stopped coming on.It has done it 3 times in 150k miles.Stay away from the dealer if you can as they will bankrupt you and probley not fix the problem.
billyo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
raycorri
AF Regular

Re: intermiitent security light, cuases no start condition Aalso have brake issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kees45
intermittant condition of security light in message center. Car may or may not start. Twice flashing car wont start. Checked all fuses. OK. After fuses check no parblems for 2 says. Then same thing happened. Was advised to disconnect + side of battery overnight. Did that. Next nmorning reconnected battery. Car starts fine. No message. Did phone dealer. Wass told to bring car in when security light is on. Otherwise they cannot diagnose.
Also have brake issue. Front Brake been turned and pads replaced at 56000km because of pulsating. Problem re occurred within 10000km. Dealre fixed again, turned etc. Still problems., dealer did rear brakes, still problems. In order to fix I need 4 new rotors and pads. Dealer and GM contriburte it to normal wear and tear. Dont trust dealer anymore. Please help with security light issue. Apprciate your comments and suggestions.
Try the Key Relearn(30 min. programming procedure) described in this article. This works for Passlock 1 and 2 also, not just Passkey systems. If this doesn't work, you could disable the Passlock --- described in the link to a Malibu thread. Don't let the dealership talk you into replacing the Ignition Lock Cylinder unless you have deep pockets.
http://www.motorage.com/motorage/dat...09/article.pdf

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...16#post3684316
raycorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:34 PM   #4
kees45
AF Newbie

Thanks for your replies. Certainly appreciate it. Just wondering if the ignition for the impala is the same as for the malibu/alero etc?. Love to cut out the security lock thingie. Any firther info sure appreciated.

Just wondering in general why it has to be designed this way. To me it just seems as a moneymaker for the dealer? With the "older" cars it all was so easy. Ah well, I guess its called progress?
Old 01-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
kees45
AF Newbie

Smile security lock situation

Went thu the procedure of cutting the yellow wire. Added an extension to it with a toggle switch. Car starts. But message center shows security lock message on all the time because toggle switch is in off position. Am a bit hesitant to switch toggle switch to on as that put system in precut condition. Do I start the car with the toggle switch off? And then switch it on? Any suggestions how to work it? Or is the situation now that the security lock light will or has to be be on all the time?
In the meantime I thank you for your responses. It certainly did help a lot. Happy New Year.
Kees
Old 01-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
kees45
AF Newbie

Smile fixed no starting problem

Back after driving the car all day for about 1000km on Tuesday. No start problems anymore so the system seems to work fine with the yellow wire being cut. Toggling the security light on and off is a bit of a hassle as you have to have it in the off position before the engine is shut off. I am going to see iif there is another way of bypassing the system. Maybe a small relaymay do the trick.
I am posting another messgae as a new thread as now I have a new problem with the hi/low beam switch on the steering column.
Seems like my Impala at 89000km is falling apart. Thanks GM.
Again thanks to all who responded
Old 01-05-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
raycorri
AF Regular

Re: fixed no starting problem

Quote:
Back after driving the car all day for about 1000km on Tuesday. No start problems anymore so the system seems to work fine with the yellow wire being cut. Toggling the security light on and off is a bit of a hassle as you have to have it in the off position before the engine is shut off. I am going to see iif there is another way of bypassing the system. Maybe a small relaymay do the trick.
I am posting another messgae as a new thread as now I have a new problem with the hi/low beam switch on the steering column.
Seems like my Impala at 89000km is falling apart. Thanks GM.
Again thanks to all who responded
Glad to hear it is working somewhat. It doesn't quite sound like you understand how it works though. The idea is to disable the Passlock forever so that you won't have those intermittent starting problems. Start the car and open the circuit with the toggle.(Passlock Disabled) Leave the toggle in that position and never touch it again. Yes, your security light will stay on forever, but that is telling you that your passlock is disabled. Your car should start every time. You only want to flip the toggle back and complete the circuit if you disconnect your battery for a long time or your battery goes dead. Re-read this bulletin for a better description than I can explain:
http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bull/bull26.pdf

Incidentally, if you are trying to build a relay set up to bypass Passlock 2 permanently---Good Luck. I know that it works if you are installing a remote starter, but even then it is a temporary bypass. The Hall Effect sensors require you to use a series of relays since a code is read at different times throughout the starting cycle.

Ray

Proud Member of The Anti-Passlock Club
Old 01-05-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
chichi1985
AF Newbie

Re: Re: fixed no starting problem

I remember readin in the owners manual about there being a passlock and now people are talking about problems. i always thought that the passlock was built into the key and was specific to your car, but i can go to my local Ace Hardware and have them cut me a working key with no problem please explain
chichi1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #9
SpinnerCee
AF Regular

Re: intermiitent security light, cuases no start condition Aalso have brake issue

chichi: I have a 2001 Impala -- it does not have the special keys with the resistor -- I think that started with the 2002 model.
SpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #10
kees45
AF Newbie

Re: Re: intermiitent security light, cuases no start condition Aalso have brake issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinnerCee
chichi: I have a 2001 Impala -- it does not have the special keys with the resistor -- I think that started with the 2002 model.
My 2002 impala has no resistor in the key either. The suggested procedure of cutting the yellow wire so far worked well. No more starting problems. But of course the message center shows the security light on. Kinda nuisance but can live with it. I just dont understand why cars are build so difficult right now in such a way that you become dependant on the dealer. And regardless, those who want to steal cars are able to do so regardless the security system. My next car will be an import for sure. And I will go for a simple but comfortable car with not many frills.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
kees45
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: intermiitent security light, cuases no start condition Aalso have brake issue

Quote:
My 2002 impala has no resistor in the key either. The suggested procedure of cutting the yellow wire so far worked well. No more starting problems. But of course the message center shows the security light on. Kinda nuisance but can live with it. I just dont understand why cars are build so difficult right now in such a way that you become dependant on the dealer. And regardless, those who want to steal cars are able to do so regardless the security system. My next car will be an import for sure. And I will go for a simple but comfortable car with not many frills.
Forgot to mention that I certainly do appreciate all the feedback. Especially from Raycorrie. (sorry if I spelled it wrong)

I am reading all the bulletins and links that has been supplied. Good info.
I do understand that the passlock system is a deterrent to steal the car. But there are much simpler methods and systems available that are much cheaper and just as effective. I am at a loss to understand why such a difficult system GM uses that is so costly to repair.
Thanks again for all your input. Now I am off to fix my hi/lo beam switch
Kees
Old 01-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
raycorri
AF Regular

Re: Re: intermiitent security light, cuases no start condition Aalso have brake issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinnerCee
2001 and 2002 both have Passlock technology.(Passlock2) You really opened a can of worms on this one. Here's all that you ever wanted to know (and a whole lot that you didn't want to know) about Passlock and Passkey/VATS and which keys use resistors and why sometimes Glove Box, Trunk, or Door Keys will or will not start the car. Have fun wading through this stuff!
http://www.insurorsservicebureau.com...cal/ISB_QA.pdf

PASSLOCK I, NEW GM SECURITY SYSTEM(Page4)
http://www.techtrainproductions.com/bulletin/ttb_14.pdf

GM TEN-CUT BITTING: A STUDY IN CONFUSION (Page 7)
http://www.techtrainproductions.com/bulletin/ttb_15.pdf

Ray Proud Member of The Anti-Passlock Club
Old 12-31-2011, 06:23 AM   #13
gragertj
AF Newbie

Does this passlock fix work on a 2001firebird convertable
gragertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kees45 View Post
Forgot to mention that I certainly do appreciate all the feedback. Especially from Raycorrie. (sorry if I spelled it wrong)

I am reading all the bulletins and links that has been supplied. Good info.
I do understand that the passlock system is a deterrent to steal the car. But there are much simpler methods and systems available that are much cheaper and just as effective. I am at a loss to understand why such a difficult system GM uses that is so costly to repair.
Thanks again for all your input. Now I am off to fix my hi/lo beam switch
Kees
Do a search for my name on here. I have a perminate fix which will let your car start normally AND not have the security light stay on.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS