Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Ffrog
AF Newbie

'96 G. Voyager quitting suddenly

My '96 Grand Voyager SE 3.3L began quitting suddenly yesterday while driving.
It has quit while at slower speeds (~25mph) and on the highway (~70mph).

It did not sputter, or act like it was having trouble, the RPMs just suddenly go to 0 and the vehicle keeps rolling. Each time able to guide to the side without any real problems, and come to a stop.

The first time was when it had low fuel in the tank and I was leaving to get fuel, and it then happened several times afterwards when there was ~1/2 tank in it.

If I waited after each time for about 20-30 minutes, it would start fine and drive for some time before quitting again. The distance driven before it quit the first time was about 16 miles, and then it was half that, and then it did manage probably another 16ish before quitting again.

I've checked the air filter, which is clean. Next thought is the fuel filter.

Just wondering if this is the next best choice to consider, or if anyone here knows of a more obvious possible cause.
Ffrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: '96 G. Voyager quitting suddenly

When you try to restart it right after it dies does it crank but not start? getting a check engine light and a code?

This sounds like a typical cam or crank sensor failure. They often fail out of the blue and often don't generate a code to turn on the check engine light. The camshaft sensor is mounted on the left side top of the engine near the thermostat. The crankshaft sensor is mounted low on the right side on the transmission bell housing. Check connections for corrosion, test for reference voltage, test wire continuity, change the sensors.

Can't count out the fuel filter but they are designed to last the life of the van meaning they are comparatively big. Test for spark next time it dies. If it's not there it points to the sensors and away from the filter.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RIP For This Useful Post:
jamesslcx (04-08-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Ffrog
AF Newbie

The sparkplugs were all changed in the last year. Right after it dies, if I try to restart it, it sounds and seems normal aside from not starting. No check engine light pops up. We had the crank sensor fail on another vehicle and that would start up fine, but stall at idle speeds.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Always check for fuel and spark when this happens.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Do you hear the fuel pump running after it dies. Turn the key to run position and listen for the fuel pump to run about 5 seconds, if not bang on the gas tank and see if that makes a difference. Some times th banging will free up a frozen fuel pump.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Ffrog
AF Newbie

Had the fuel pressure tested, and seems okay there.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Ffrog, did you check it for spark when it dies? I believe I would still change the fuel filter if it were mine, I usually change mine every few years.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Ffrog
AF Newbie

I did change the fuel filter and am still experiencing the trouble. Have not checked for spark, but do know all the plugs are new within the last year or so.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesslcx View Post
Ffrog, did you check it for spark when it dies? I believe I would still change the fuel filter if it were mine, I usually change mine every few years.
212,000 miles and still running like a top with original fuel filter. There are many vans out there with many more miles doing the same.

Ffrog - The concern isn't the spark plugs. The concern is, is power getting to the spark plugs from the PCM to the coil and on to the plug wires to the plugs.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Jbrowneng
AF Newbie

It looks like Ffrog has either found his solution or given up. I however have the same issue on a '95 Voyager. I also have problems shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd though, 2nd to 3rd is not as bad as from 1st to 2nd. It stumbles or revs high. I also have to gun the gas a little bit when I first start the car, or it will just sit there and idle even in gear. Codes pulled are P0731, & P0736. The transmission was replaced about 2 years ago with a refurbished one. Could it be going out again already?
Jbrowneng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Jbrowneng
AF Newbie

Got no response so started a new thread.
Jbrowneng is offline   Reply With Quote