Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

15's or 16's?

Should I go with the BFG MT 31X10.5X15X7 OR 31X10.5X16X7
My stock wheels are 16x7. Would there be any difference with an aftermarket 16x7 over my stock? Has anybody had a problem running 15's and rubbing the caliper?
chubbybubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #2
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Re: 15's or 16's?

Aftermarket wheels will change how easily the tires will fit, stick with factory if at all possible.
265/70-16 (stock size on 02+) is equivalent to a 31x10.50-16
A 31x10.50 will fit on the factory wheels just fine, you will of course have to trim a bit to clear them on an 01. Mudflaps will have to go, but you can get the 2002+ style instead, they fit.
The 2001 XE had the 15x7 alloys, and the 15x7 steel wheel have been the base all along, no problems with brake clearance.

You'll find a 31x10.50-15 is cheaper than a 265/70-16. Same size tire, larger hole in the middle, equals more expensive tire, go figure.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:27 PM   #3
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Re: 15's or 16's?

Get 15's. Steelies if you offroad.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:03 PM   #4
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

15's or 16's

So what you're saying is with 15 or 16's l have to trim a little? Not a big deal, I just want to know either way. Do I still run the chance of ramming them trough the wheel well though with this size tire?

My factory rims on my 01' has a 16x7 stamp on each wheel. They are not steel, and I hear steel is more forgiving than alloy on the trail.

I don't see any 16x7 aftermarket wheels ever. I sure see 15x7's though. I know I'm going to go with BFG MT 31x10.50's. I guess it comes down to shelling out more cash for rims(either 15's or 16's) if I'm worried about damage to my factory wheels.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:33 AM   #5
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Re: 15's or 16's

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbybubba1
So what you're saying is with 15 or 16's l have to trim a little? Not a big deal, I just want to know either way. Do I still run the chance of ramming them trough the wheel well though with this size tire?

My factory rims on my 01' has a 16x7 stamp on each wheel. They are not steel, and I hear steel is more forgiving than alloy on the trail.

I don't see any 16x7 aftermarket wheels ever. I sure see 15x7's though. I know I'm going to go with BFG MT 31x10.50's. I guess it comes down to shelling out more cash for rims(either 15's or 16's) if I'm worried about damage to my factory wheels.
If you are running stock wheels you will not have any trouble with 31" tires. The only trouble you would "maybe" have is if you were running aftermarket wheels with different backspacing. Yes, steel is better offroad. If you're going to offroad you might want to consider having two sets of wheels/tires. One with a good on-road tire, the other a more agressive offroad tire. I doubt you're going to damage your stock wheels, so probably just stay with them and your new tires for now. You'll just pay some more for the 16" holes.

So the short answer is 31" tires are barely taller than your stock tires and you will not be "ramming them through the wheel well". Have fun.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:19 AM   #6
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

Thanks for helping me pick this apart. Good help!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail