Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
phewop118
AF Regular

Exclamation Winter Tires

How long have people's oem tires been lasting on tb exts? Mine are just about worn out at only 23,000 miles! They are absolutely horrible in the snow and there is hardly any tread left. They just barely passed inspection. Any good snow tire for TB's, or are good all-seasons good in the snow?

Last edited by phewop118; 11-26-2005 at 11:06 PM.
phewop118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:11 PM   #2
phewop118
AF Regular

Guys, hurry up and give me responses - I just had a flat today and really need new tires!
Old 11-27-2005, 05:22 PM   #3
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Tires

Go to tirerack.com, lots of tires and suggestions and user recommendations there, but anything but a dedicated winter tire is a compromise on heavy snowed roads and ice. I got 30k on my oe tires.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
johnner1999
AF Newbie

Re: Winter Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by phewop118
How long have people's oem tires been lasting on tb exts? Mine are just about worn out at only 23,000 miles! They are absolutely horrible in the snow and there is hardly any tread left. They just barely passed inspection. Any good snow tire for TB's, or are good all-seasons good in the snow?

I'm kind of the "red-headed-stepchild" as I have the Isuzu Ascender version :-)

I have a 2005 Ascender and it came with Conti TR's (see link below) they seem too passenger car like so far. We had our 1st snow of the year this past week and they worked pretty well on flat areas but on an incline they seem to loose grip.

OEM tires on Ascender

Looking at something different as well... but since I drive about 500-600 miles a week I don't want to give up any MPG :-)

Yoko Geolanders 501

Then again this was also my 1st snow with my cool new Ascender/Trailblazer/Envoy :-) Love this truck!

John
johnner1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #5
mvftw
AF Newbie

I've got 52k and counting on my '03 LTZ...
mvftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
KahneFan
AF Newbie

Quote:

Did your vehicle come with a warrenty on the tires? A lot of new vehicles are coming with a factory 30/40/50K mile warrenty on the tires. You may want to call you dealer. I bought my 02' TB used, so I'm not sure if they come with one or not. Sometimes it's an option during the buying process. If you passed this option up, it may be one you'll consider in the future ;-)
KahneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:49 AM   #7
AdAmN20
AF Regular

Quote:

I dont own a trailblazer, but I like the BF Goodrich all-terrain tire. I have a friend that has them on a Tahoe and they are excellent for any type of weather. You can get about 50- 75,000 out of them. They are also what comes stock on all the H2 Hummers.
AdAmN20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:37 PM   #8
ScarabEpic22
AF Regular

I got 50k out of my oe BFG Open Trail T/As before I replaced them with Toyo Open Country A/T P245-70R16. For $500, they are a great tire! Good wet/dry traction, but cant comment on the snow yet as the only time this year I have gone skiing was with a buddy, and we took his Expedition. I dont get much snow ever in Seattle, so cant tell you yet!

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4X4 -Summit White w/Oak interior
Many Mods, latest: EFILive tuned by (me)
ScarabEpic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:33 PM   #9
dxve
AF Newbie

Cool

We put the Toyo Open Country HT's on our LTZ last spring and they were a huge improvement over the OEM BF Goodrich crap. Improved ride and handling, great snow traction (in the first few snowfalls this year) and a treadwear rating of 640! We considered the AT but they seemed a bit too rugged for the Trailblazer.
dxve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #10
johnner1999
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxve
We put the Toyo Open Country HT's on our LTZ last spring and they were a huge improvement over the OEM BF Goodrich crap. Improved ride and handling, great snow traction (in the first few snowfalls this year) and a treadwear rating of 640! We considered the AT but they seemed a bit too rugged for the Trailblazer.

did they drop your average MPG???

Also anyone with the new Conti's how are they in snow?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:23 PM   #11
maxwedge
A990 racer

Exclamation Re: Tires

To all concerned, keep in mind tread wear ratings only apply to other tires in that manufacturers line up, so true tread wear potential can be hard to project based on those numbers.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:05 AM   #12
phewop118
AF Regular

I have the crappy continentals! They had good dry traction and okay wet traction, although they seemed to feel like they were about to hydroplane a little early. In the snow last year, they performed alright. However, now with only 23,000 miles on them, they are BALD! In the snow - can't steer, can't brake - the only reason I can accelerate is the 4wd.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #13
ScarabEpic22
AF Regular

My Open Country's have a 500 treadwear, so that is better than the BFG.

Also, the oe BFG tire that come on the TB are different than the ones on the Tahoe/Suburban.

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4X4 -Summit White w/Oak interior
Many Mods, latest: EFILive tuned by (me)
ScarabEpic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:55 AM   #14
dxve
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Tires

[quote=johnner1999]did they drop your average MPG???

No discernable change in mileage, but I wasn't really expecting an improvment. My feeling is that it is a bit better as the new Toyo's are a rounder (needing very little weight to balance) and stiffer - less energy expended flexing the sidewall and more energy spent rolling forward.
dxve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:15 PM   #15
johnner1999
AF Newbie

I was going to my local tire dealer (Town Fair Tire - the only "dealer" in my area) to get some of the Toyo Open AT's in stock size 245/65/17

WOW

$795 for the set installed (thats in US money) :-( I guess I'll have to like the factory tires til they wear out...

John

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT