Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Hwigent
AF Newbie

Question only drive in first gear

I have a 1995 Plymouth Voyager se about a year ago the transmission started acting up, for no reason, it would just go it to First and never come out I would stop turn it off turn it back on again and it would be fine..then days later it would go by, it would do it again. it did this for a while and the good days would turn in to a mile or two then it just decided not to come out of first ever, during this, i took it to a trany shop and rebuilt the transmission it worked for a bout a half hour. final a mechanic friend checked the computer again and changed it out with another and it fixed it beautifully!!! ok well about a week ago a very odd loud obnoxious squeal started that sounded like a bottle rocket but not all the time, more often than not though. Before I got a chance to take it to my mechanic friend i was driving along and the transmission slipped in to first and wont that's it. i have been doing emergency trips in first gear and also the horrid squeal is gone. the thing have to be linked what should I try and i don't think its the computer and ideas would be greatly appreciated, I really don't want to lose my van
Hwigent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: only drive in first gear

Got a hunch many of your 69 viewers may be thinking the same thing but don't want to say it. It's time to let go. You said your transmission started acting up for no reason. There is one big reason - it's a 17 year old van. Even if you fix it, what's next? Put your money into newer more reliable transportation.

Not sure what to do with it? Donate it. Running or not you get a minimum $500 tax credit.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
mishalah
AF Regular

Re: only drive in first gear

Yeah, that's "limp mode". At the least you might need fluid. A little better would be just the shift solenoid -- if you can even find one. Or maybe the pump. Did you get a warranty for the rebuild you already had? Sounds like he did a crappy job.
1997 Jaguar XK8 convertible...best road car ever
1966 Mustang GT convertible...fully restored concourse show car
mishalah is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager