Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
Silver39
AF Newbie

'94 power window problem

Have a rather strange problem on my '94, driver side windows will go down ok, but on raising either front or rear, after about 2/3 of the way up they will stop and not function for a few minutes, then will go up all the way most of the time, at the time this happens the passenger side functions ok, so believe the circuit breaker is functioning ok, before trying to tear everything apart thought I would check with the experienced folks here. Any ideas?
Silver39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: '94 power window problem

I only wish I'd thought to take pictures of this job, it only took about an hour on my '92.
The window motor on the drivers door window had a bunch of grease that had run down from the little gearcase.
With the window up, I pulled the door panel, found the power window motor, unplugged the electrical connector, bent the tangs out holding the endplate on the motor, removed the endplate w/brushes, cleaned the endplate, brushes, motor commutator bars with carb. cleaner, smeared a little general purpose grease in the endplate bearing, bent a piece of steel wire to spread and hold the brushes in place, reinstalled the endplate, bent the tangs back in place, plugged in the electrical connector then turned the keyswitch on and observed the window raising and lowering at great speeds...relatively speaking.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:56 AM   #3
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: '94 power window problem

Oooppps,
After reading "Spenser's" post from last year, I remembered soldering a wire across the leads to the bi-metal circuit breaker in the motor end piece...that is what originally goes bad, that simple breaker has been heated with current so many times it's useless. No problems since I did mine last fall.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada