Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: not sure what i did here
whoops 1 100.00%
?????? 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
y13supio
AF Newbie

'94 silverado HD2500 3/4t 4X4 bent frame

i was doing approx 40mph when i fell asleep at the wheel. crossed oncoming lane ,hitting no one thankfully, then off the shoulder. not sure what i hit but it sheared tie rod end on drivers side and shoved the front drivers tire back about 1 1/4" - 1 1/2". i come to this measurment by measuring the distance between the front and rear tires on both sides, and the drivers side tire is 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" closer to the nerf bar. the front end stablizer bar on the drivers side also shows a slight bend. i went to the only place in town that has a frame machine and the owner told me that because the tire was pushed back that far that there was absolutely no way at all to straighten this out. and i should grasp ahold of the fact that i need to come up with another frame all together. i had just put $2000 worth of TOYO's on it 3 weeks before the incident, and the last thing i want to do is have the tires wear goofy and before their time. anybody care to enlighten me on the weather this is fixable or i do indeedneed to replace the complete frame? i've also tried to get out of the guy which frames would work and he said any silverado 3/4 ton from '93 to 2001. i'm located in jefferson county the Olypic Penninsula in washington state. what should i expect to drop money wise on frame only?

thank you, Jon
y13supio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: '94 silverado HD2500 3/4t 4X4 bent frame

I would try to find a frame shop that has the frame straightening equiptment.

depending on the location and amount they may be able to get it back...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
y13supio
AF Newbie

he's got the frame machine and supposedly knows what he's doing, he said he has a '93 behind his shop almost identical as i discribed mine and showed him pics. said he had it on machine with 8 tons of pressure set on it for 2+ days and it wouldn't take. i don't know much about frame straightening, but i thought that you would maybe pull just beyond desired point and it would relax back alittle. but hell, i've never done frames but i have worked with steel before. i will check around though. i imagine without actually seeing it in person it's just a guessing game.

thank you for your imput, very helpful to here what someone else would do.

Jon
y13supio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by y13supio View Post
he's got the frame machine and supposedly knows what he's doing, he said he has a '93 behind his shop almost identical as i discribed mine and showed him pics. said he had it on machine with 8 tons of pressure set on it for 2+ days and it wouldn't take. i don't know much about frame straightening, but i thought that you would maybe pull just beyond desired point and it would relax back alittle. but hell, i've never done frames but i have worked with steel before. i will check around though. i imagine without actually seeing it in person it's just a guessing game.

thank you for your imput, very helpful to here what someone else would do.

Jon
I have worked on collision vehicles much larger than your toy sized vehicle in comparision...when on the frame machine you would apply heat to the stressed area and adjust for correct geometry....

I myself did not have this responsibility but my co-workers had this training...It is possible with your discription of the damage...

if the metal was folded then you would need to replace the frame..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
bent , chevy , frame , silverado , truck
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado