Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Carsick
AF Newbie

97 tailgate rear door latch problem, won't shut

I've got a 97 Toyota 4runner that has always had an issue since I purchased it 4 years ago. Once in a while the tailgate wouldn't open. It felt like the door was locked. If I pounded on the door then pulled the latch, it would open. I would then spray some lubricant in there and things seemed to loosen up and things would work fine for another 4-6 months.

Well, now it won't shut. The latch isn't swinging out of the way so it just bounce out of the catch bolt. I've taken the door apart and the mechanisms up to the point of the actual latch seem to be working as designed. Seems like a broken spring or just really gumed up.

The latch mechanism doesn't appear to be something that can be taken apart. I have to believe I just need to buy a new latch mechanism, but just hate guessing at problems as I've played that game too often (and lost).

Anyone have a similar problem and had it fixed? TIA, any thoughts appreciated. Carsick.
Carsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
2001jettavr6
AF Regular

Re: 97 tailgate rear door latch problem, won't shut

if it wont open or shut the latch is bad so id say change it get it from auto zone or oreilly if they have it that way if thats not whats wrong take it back
2001jettavr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470