Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
SierraK1500
AF Regular

Exclamation GM Ignition Recall

Had my 2012 Impala in the dealer today. They put caps on my keys. Now look I am not stupid but need to ask the reasoning behind the caps. How are caps gonna keep the key from moving from run to off? I was not told if an insert was installed. The letter from GM said it was a 15 minute job. Was 2 hours and 45 mins. One service advisor tried to feed me a bunch of excuses. So tell me folks what's the point?
Old 10-30-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: GM Ignition Recall

Settle down....on some key, the inserts don't fit correctly, due to wear on the opening or something else. In these cases, a cover is installed. The cover repair is a little more time consuming. The repair time stated is for the actual repair once the tech has the car. If you'll notice, there is now a small hole in the center of the key. The idea is to center the weight of the key chain on the key to make it less likely to turn with a heavy key chain on it swinging side to side. Don't get upset with the guys doing the repairs that they are required to do. I doubt you were the only one in there having the recall done. I sometimes have 2 or 3 going at the same time.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmtech1 For This Useful Post:
SierraK1500 (10-30-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
LeoTheLion89
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via AIM to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via MSN to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via Yahoo to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via Skype™ to LeoTheLion89

What will the recall intail on a 2001 Impala? I have a appointment at the dealer to get my ignition recall AND engine fire recall on December 4th. The Impala has some issues i was wondering if this recall will fix. Examples of problems are the blinkers not working i flip them on nothing happens to make the blinkers work i have to press the hazard button several times. The car has a starting issue. When the car sits for a few hours or days it starts right away once driving to such a place as a store about 5 miles away and park it once i come it and try to start it it will crank start then sputter out and staill within seconds. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 starts to get it running. I can fix the poblem most the time by starting it the IMMEDIETELY giving it gas. What will be done with the Engine fire recall? I already have Tin Foil on the engine what will be different? will i SEE a difference?
LeoTheLion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
SierraK1500
AF Regular

Exclamation Re: GM Ignition Recall

Leo to run the risk of being a smart ass, unless you are keeping the car to become an antique, trade it in. You have too many issues on an old car that keeping putting money in it is a waste. How many miles? I don't understand the idea of tin foil on the engine. That will not put out a fire. Unless you are trying to keep Reynolds foil in business, its not a good idea. The dealer put caps on all my keys making them heavier so the risk of turning is lessened.

I still drive my 2012 with the crap off the key ring. However if the key turns to acc or off while you are driving it becomes a very dangerous thing. I took my car out to a barren area as not to hit anything took it to 35mph and shut the key off. You lose it all, no steering, wheel locked, brakes had a little reserve to stop it. Dunno if the 2001 is under the recall unless you got a letter from GM. The only problem I had with my 2005 was the key jamming in the cylinder. Had to tap it to get the key to move. Some WD40 sprayed in there did the job. Did not stick for over a year. Another problem with the car is the pressure valve connected to the fuel rail. Smelled like gas. The rolled seam on the valve leaked. The new one did too a year later. Junk.

The steering knuckle under the dash is covered by a boot. It clunked all the time. I had to take the boot down and spray white grease and start the car and move the wheel from stop to stop several times. Cured it after a while.

Let me know what happens with your car. Interesting problems you have.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
LeoTheLion89
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via AIM to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via MSN to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via Yahoo to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via Skype™ to LeoTheLion89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraK1500 View Post
Leo to run the risk of being a smart ass, unless you are keeping the car to become an antique, trade it in. You have too many issues on an old car that keeping putting money in it is a waste. How many miles? I don't understand the idea of tin foil on the engine. That will not put out a fire. Unless you are trying to keep Reynolds foil in business, its not a good idea. The dealer put caps on all my keys making them heavier so the risk of turning is lessened.

I still drive my 2012 with the crap off the key ring. However if the key turns to acc or off while you are driving it becomes a very dangerous thing. I took my car out to a barren area as not to hit anything took it to 35mph and shut the key off. You lose it all, no steering, wheel locked, brakes had a little reserve to stop it. Dunno if the 2001 is under the recall unless you got a letter from GM. The only problem I had with my 2005 was the key jamming in the cylinder. Had to tap it to get the key to move. Some WD40 sprayed in there did the job. Did not stick for over a year. Another problem with the car is the pressure valve connected to the fuel rail. Smelled like gas. The rolled seam on the valve leaked. The new one did too a year later. Junk.

The steering knuckle under the dash is covered by a boot. It clunked all the time. I had to take the boot down and spray white grease and start the car and move the wheel from stop to stop several times. Cured it after a while.

Let me know what happens with your car. Interesting problems you have.
118k on it odd as it my seem ive put no money into it to even speak of less that 150 bucks since ive had it part of that money was to fix the leaky rims and the other is the $10 or so in 10w40 oil i put in it 2 years ago. The engine already HAS the tinfoil on it its over the top of the exhaust manifold. The steering wheel doesn't lock on my Impala at all which i find rather annoying! The car was pretty beat up by the previous owner. It was missing most of the interior curtesy lights and the trunk light the front cigarette lighter dont work and the trunk cant be opened by a key the lock does not turn at all.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

No. The recalls will not fix any of your concerns. The engine fire one will eliminate the plastic cover on the front spark plug wires that attaches to the valve cover. It will be replaced with two plug wire retainers. The same repairs as the 2005 will be done on your keys and yes you will see a difference.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
LeoTheLion89
AF Newbie

whats the tinfoil on the exhayust manifold do?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheLion89 View Post
whats the tinfoil on the exhayust manifold do?
when there is a tin foil type material over the engine manifold this is used as a heat shield. this is more like or should be made of stainless steel since stainless can take the heat and do a better job of protecting components near the manifold like plug wires/hoses etc. GM uses a plated steel that over time will fall off. this steel does have issues in the rust belt as the corrosion at the fastening points fails.. aluminum foil is good to heat your lunch up when placing it on the engine when driving.. over the years I have replaced these GM rusting heat shields with stainless and they never fail.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Quote:
118k on it odd as it my seem ive put no money into it to even speak of less that 150 bucks since ive had it part of that money was to fix the leaky rims and the other is the $10 or so in 10w40 oil i put in it 2 years ago. The engine already HAS the tinfoil on it its over the top of the exhaust manifold. The steering wheel doesn't lock on my Impala at all which i find rather annoying! The car was pretty beat up by the previous owner. It was missing most of the interior curtesy lights and the trunk light the front cigarette lighter dont work and the trunk cant be opened by a key the lock does not turn at all.
First, the steering wheel doesn't lock, so the system isn't broken.

For the rear deck lid lock, try applying some penetrating oil into the lock cylinder. If the key will slide into the lock, slide the key in and out several times to help distribute the penetrating oil.

There is also a chance that the key does not fit the lock. If the key fits the door, it is probably original for the vehicle. If it does not fit the door, the ignition lock cylinder may have been replaced at some time and the correct door/deck lid key would need to be found.

If the Impala has the Buick 231 V6, its less than halfway through its life. Just take care of it and it should easily reach 200K plus.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
LeoTheLion89
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
First, the steering wheel doesn't lock, so the system isn't broken.

For the rear deck lid lock, try applying some penetrating oil into the lock cylinder. If the key will slide into the lock, slide the key in and out several times to help distribute the penetrating oil.

There is also a chance that the key does not fit the lock. If the key fits the door, it is probably original for the vehicle. If it does not fit the door, the ignition lock cylinder may have been replaced at some time and the correct door/deck lid key would need to be found.

If the Impala has the Buick 231 V6, its less than halfway through its life. Just take care of it and it should easily reach 200K plus.
The keys work the ignition and door although with the keyless entry i never use it on the doors i can open the truck by the keyfob and the button in the car the key goes INTO the truck lock but simply will not turn. It has the 3800 Series II V6 in it the non-supercharged version.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Since the key is probably the correct one for the vehicle, it should fit. Evidently, the key is not worn enough to prevent its use in the door, so it should work in the deck lid.

Try the penetrating oil. After several applications and allowing soak time between applications, you can try the key. Just don't force anything. The plate tumblers in the lock cylinder should make some slight noise when the key is inserted or removed, and the key should slide into the cylinder easily. If not, they are not moving freely and may require more cleaning and lubrication.

If/when the deck lid lock cylinder is finally freed, clean out the cylinder and lubricate it with dry graphite powder, then actuate the cylinder several times to distribute the graphite into the plates and cylinder.

It seems odd that this would be a problem since the vehicle is less than 20 years old, and even more so since the locks are rarely used. The annual body maintenance routine should prevent any of this kind of problem. You know - The annual cleaning and lubrication of all hinges and latches with naptha then lithium lube, the cleaning and treating of all weatherstrips and body seals with silicone grease (10953014), the lubrication of body and suspension bushings with oil-free glycerine or silicone lube, lubrication of locks with graphite, lubrication of strut mounts, etc. It's all in the service manual, as we all know.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
The keys work the ignition and door although with the keyless entry i never use it on the doors i can open the truck by the keyfob and the button in the car the key goes INTO the truck lock but simply will not turn. It has the 3800 Series II V6 in it the non-supercharged version.
have a new key made from your vin # info. do not use a worn key to make a new key. what happens is the door/ignition wear so the worn key still will work. the trunk lock not used much has no wear so it requires a key that is not worn / rounded off so the cylinder is more picky about the key condition... lock cylinders do not rust but the cylinder may get dirty inside. using some electric cleaner and a spray straw in the hole may help. electronic cleaner is not damaging to paint or plastic. then the cylinder may be damaged by forced entry ..
Old 11-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #13
LeoTheLion89
AF Newbie

One thing i have learned from dealerships is that they tend to screw you over they charge you 10x the price for a part you can get at AutoZone or on eBay for less than $40 in most cases. Seems to get a key made from the VIN i would pay $30 for a key ACE Hardware will make for $2
Old 11-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
One thing i have learned from dealerships is that they tend to screw you over they charge you 10x the price for a part you can get at AutoZone or on eBay for less than $40 in most cases. Seems to get a key made from the VIN i would pay $30 for a key ACE Hardware will make for $2
the reason to make a new key from VIN is so that the key is not made from a worn key. I buy new. keep one key that is never used as the new key maker master key.

making copy key from worn key may not work . but it is only 2 bucks.

dealerships do screw you on most parts.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS