Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
skcacc
AF Newbie

Question 1997 Lumina Fuel Pump

We have a 1997 Lumina, and were quoted about 1000 to put a new one on. I was wondering if anyone knows the location of the fuel pump, and is it possible for a mechanically inclined person to do the repairs. The fuel pump itself is going to cost around 350.00. I have replaced fuel filters and o2 sensors and the like, so was wondering if anyone could give me some info before I try to dive into this myself!

Thanks

Scott
skcacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
Crasen
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1997 Lumina Fuel Pump

[quote=skcacc]We have a 1997 Lumina, and were quoted about 1000 to put a new one on. I was wondering if anyone knows the location of the fuel pump, and is it possible for a mechanically inclined person to do the repairs. The fuel pump itself is going to cost around 350.00. I have replaced fuel filters and o2 sensors and the like, so was wondering if anyone could give me some info before I try to dive into this myself!

I am sure your fuel pump is in your gas tank, they are not typically hard to replace, hopefully you do not have a full tank of gas cause that would make it pretty heavy. I would look at your fuel tank and see how hard you think it would be to remove because that is the hard part. If you have some basic tools, a good floor jack and 4 jackstands it shouldn't be too hard but if you were quoted 1000 for a 350 dollar part it might take awhile, depending on the labor rate where you called, personally I would try it myself even if I had to spend a hundred fifty dollars in tools tyou would still save 500 dollars from labor
Crasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:36 PM   #3
Bluenose
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcacc
We have a 1997 Lumina, and were quoted about 1000 to put a new one on. I was wondering if anyone knows the location of the fuel pump, and is it possible for a mechanically inclined person to do the repairs. The fuel pump itself is going to cost around 350.00. I have replaced fuel filters and o2 sensors and the like, so was wondering if anyone could give me some info before I try to dive into this myself!

Thanks

Scott
Your quote is accurate. I just had one installed in a 98 and it is in the gas tank.
Bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
meistermind
AF Newbie

You can do it for alot less.

I have replaced the fuel pump on my Lumina. It cost me about $85.00 at an auto parts store. $350 seems overpriced, considering there's not much to the part. Are you sure its a fuel pump?....An Ignition module (located under the coils) that is starting to go bad can seem like a fuel pump. NAPA and some auto parts stores have the electronic equipment to test ignition parts for free. I assume you can make the car run by spraying starter fluid or gas into the intake's throttle body.

Anyway, you need to jack up the rear of the car and disconnect the fuel fill hose and the smaller fill vent hose. Also, disconnect the fuel lines going to the tank. Usually there are fuel line connectors or fittings very near the tank- follow them back from further up front if needed. Also there is an electrical connector or two for the fuel pump and the gas guage. There are two straps holding up the tank. One end of each is likely a pivot point and the other end is bolted up. Put a floor jack under the tank (with a square of wood) and remove the two strap bolts. Then lower the tank down- it will come down at an angle since the other end of the straps are still connected & pivoting. It may be possible you need to finish disconnecting any remaining fuel or electrical lines on top of the tank, if you could not get at them all. Then slide the tank out from the car and clean all the lose debris from around the tank's opening locking ring. You will need to rotate the Locking ring so the slots line up with the tabs on the tank collar, then the ring lifts off (you'll see the tabs and slots if you clean it up first. Use a flat blade screwdriver to tap the ring around if its tight. With the locking ring removed, the fuel pump and gas gauge float assembly will pull out of the tank. There is a giant O-ring underneath it as a seal. You should always buy and replace the fuel pump filter sock ($7-$10) on the bottom of the fuel pump. It does not always come with a new pump. The old clogged one can cause the new pump to work too hard and fail prematurely.

Good Luck!!
meistermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
Rubicon1
AF Newbie

Certain years the pumps do cost that much, you might get lucky and find one on ebay for a little cheaper. The manual says 1.8 hrs for labor rate. That's not too bad.
Rubicon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:05 PM   #6
meistermind
AF Newbie

Outrageous parts cost!!!!!

WOW!!!!...........

I just couldn't believe a $350. fuel pump for a Chevy, but I looked for sh-ts & grins and you're right.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...ype=52&ptset=A

What's up with that....must be a Union labeled part, 'cause I just don't see it, why?? Guess I'm in the wrong business!! The Ebay idea is a good thought though!
meistermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:09 AM   #7
bleepster
AF Regular

i had to have mine replaced as well about 2-3 years ago. it cost me $850.00 out the door. when the fuel pump goes, they also have to replace the "sending unit" (i think thats what it was called) as they are one peice now.
bleepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:17 PM   #8
skcacc
AF Newbie

Thanks for the information, I think I am going to try it, and see what happens, if all else fails, call AAA to have it towed!

Thanks again
Old 12-19-2005, 10:44 PM   #9
the6
AF Newbie

you didn't explain your problem. but try this befor you pull the tank. on the front side of the motor there is a oil pressure sending unit. if it has 3 wires short out the 2 opposite of each other with a paper clip. i just found a broken wire on mine inside the insulation about 1 in. above the conector. you should hear the pump come on. i thought it was my fuel pump and forked out $45.00 for a new one and changed it but it wasn't it. it was that stupid safty switch in the oil sending unit. you might need a special tool to take off the fuel lines, it cost about $7.00.

Last edited by the6; 12-19-2005 at 11:19 PM.
the6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:08 PM   #10
skcacc
AF Newbie

It has been put on diags so we are sure its the fuel pump. Basically it turns over, but never fires.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:05 PM   #11
93LT
AF Regular

You don't even have to get under the car to change the pump.

Open the trunk and lift up the carpet. You should see a stainless steel acces lid on the floor. Remove this lid and you expose the fuel pump assembly.

The hardest part is tapping the retaining ring loose, then tapping it tight again once the new fuel pump is set in place.

1995 K1500 Ext. Cab Stepside
1997 Olds Bravada AWD
2001 Silverado LT 2500HD CC 4WD
2001 Yukon SLT 4WD
93LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:04 AM   #12
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

The fuel module in your vehicle is plastic, and is retained by a snap ring, not the annoying cam as 93LT describes. If your car has the access door in the trunk, it's a pretty simple job. If not, dropping the tank can be a pain.
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:44 AM   #13
skcacc
AF Newbie

I will check out the trunk, and see what is in there. I am hoping that this is the case. Thanks again
Old 12-21-2005, 03:26 PM   #14
93LT
AF Regular

Re: Re: 1997 Lumina Fuel Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtazz
The fuel module in your vehicle is plastic, and is retained by a snap ring, not the annoying cam as 93LT describes. If your car has the access door in the trunk, it's a pretty simple job. If not, dropping the tank can be a pain.
OK, there is no access panel as I thought there was much as in most other Late Model GM cars. I removed the rear seat to check there as well since the tank extends underneath it, but there is no panel there as well.

Under the trunk compartment floor mat, towards the drivers side front, is a wire loom that is snapped in a plastic housing to the floor, I can't imagine this being the access to the fuelpump assembly, but perhaps it could be. Might be worth checking in to.

1995 K1500 Ext. Cab Stepside
1997 Olds Bravada AWD
2001 Silverado LT 2500HD CC 4WD
2001 Yukon SLT 4WD
93LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:16 AM   #15
Rubicon1
AF Newbie

Alldata says you have to drop the tank.
Rubicon1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina