Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
slammedscion
AF Regular

question

I am going to build a 351 up for my 2000 mustang and am wondering which 6 speed manual transmisions will bolt up. I tried to find some but couldnt. Also which rear end set up is best i thought about the 9 inch or if there is a better one. thanks for any help.
slammedscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
351wStang
AF Enthusiast

Re: question

How much power are you looking to make? There is alot of work involved in swapping a 302/351 into a modular car. It is in no way a straight swap. Tell us the purpose of this build and we may be able to save you alot of time and money.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
slammedscion
AF Regular

I am looiking at producing around 550-600 rwhp something to get me hight 10's to the high 11's in the qtr and it will be my daily driver. I know its not a straight swap. It has a v6 in it right now. I do have a mechanics degree but havent built a mustang up yet, so i can do all the work my self. I also heard from a friend that the irs out of a cobra is a good rear end but dont know how it would hold up next to a 9in. Any help is appreciated. I work on the week ends so it will hardly ever see the track at least for this year but i plan on being able to go there alot next year.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
351wStang
AF Enthusiast

The Cobra IRS is junk for drag racing. 100% stock 03/04 Cobra's break rearends at the track trying to launch.

550-600rwhp will put you in the 9.9x range in the quarter depending on your weight and suspension.

Ok, as far as the rearend goes just keep the 8.8, trust me they work. When cars running 7's in the quarter are useing 8.8 rearends then I see no reason for you to swap in a 9". Just install 33-spline Strange axles, Strange spool, Motive ring & pinion gears & have the axle tubes welded to the housing. Then I would highly suggest that you consider Team Z for all your suspension needs.
I used Team Z stuff for my car and with Mickey Thompson ET Street radials w/ 30psi air in them my car pulled the from end off the ground on the street. Dave Z's stuff just works.

To Hold the kind of power you want to make I would highly suggest a TKO. I doubt a stock 6spd will hold 700ish flywheel horse power and torque.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
slammedscion
AF Regular

I was thing about a racing trans but i would perfer a 5-6 speed. What is a tko? Thanks for the rear end advice. I was wanting to put in 4.10 gears which brand of gears do most mustang owners perfer? What is a website i can view team z on.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
351wStang
AF Enthusiast

The Tremec TKO is a 5spd.
Here is Team Z's website: http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/
Motive Gear is my choice for rearend gears. Don't sell yourself on 4.10's right off the bat thought. There is alot that goes into choosing the correct gear ratio. First off you need to know what tire you are running, the height is important. Second you need to figure out your maximum efficient rpm. Then useing the hp/weight ratio of your vehicle you need figure out about what your finish line mph should be. For instance: say your finish line mph in the 1/4 should be about 130mph, you have 4.10 gears with a 26" tire, and your max rpm is 6000. Well, that just wont work because a 4.10 w/ 26" tire is turning 6,888rpms at 130mph. See what I mean?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
slammedscion
AF Regular

I have decided on a turbo kit from TMA its the street kit. Besides gears which i will figure out which is right for my set up i was wondering what cam and crank you would recomend please specify on the duration. I already found a MAF,Fuel Rails,Injectors,and a tuner. Is it reasonable to see around 450rwhp with a good set up. The dyno sheet said it produced 380rwhp on a stock motor It comes with a New Precision Garrett Pt61 .81 turbine a/r - Capable of 680 hp. Most efficient around the 400-600 rwhp range. Good combo match for stock & modified motorsTial 38 mm wastegate - Choice of psi spring. 4.4 psi recommended for those planning to run stock fuel setup. 10.3 psi recommended for 91 pump gas
HKS or TIal Bov - Hks is great for its sound and performance - Tial is a full blown performance oriented blow off valve
16 guage mild steel log headers - This features 1.5" primaries with 2 1/8" log headers merged into a T4 turbine
3" mild steel single exhaust dump - This exhaust dump can flow 800 + hp . It uses a single 3" exhaust dump pipe routing to underneath the car then splits into a dual 2.5" Y pipe near the tranny area to attach to your dual exhaust.. 3" high flow catalyic converter is an additional add on feature
Intercooler. An OBX Intercooler 32" x 12" x 3" large bar and plate intercooler.
MISC - K &N Filter, breather tank, silicone hoses and lines, T bolt clamps, Oil feed lines, Oil drain lines.

Last edited by slammedscion; 10-24-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
neatofrito1618
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to neatofrito1618 Send a message via Yahoo to neatofrito1618

TMA doesn't make kits anymore... Andy quit a couple months ago.
neatofrito1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
slammedscion
AF Regular

i just got an email back from him today so maybe he started back up because i was telling him i was plaining on buying one from him sometime in the future.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
351wStang
AF Enthusiast

I cant just blurt out a cam and it be the perfect one for your setup. Alot of turbo guys around the 450rw mark are running the stock 5.0 cam. The F-303 cam is also a good starting point as well as the TFS stage I cam. As far as the crank goes, just run the stocker. I ran my stock crank over 700hp for a limited time.

Just FYI, but if I had it to do again I would build my own turbo kit.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance