Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 06:29 PM   #1
buh_buh
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to buh_buh
Rockford Punch?

I'm about to get this pretty sweet deal off this guy I know for a Phoenix Gold XS2300 amp and a Rockford Punch he2 400 watt dvc sub (I have no idea what these mean, I know nothing about stereos), and I was wondering if that would be pretty sufficient for my needs. I just want something that'll give me some bass, and nothing that weighs too much and won't take up too much space in my trunk. I don't want anything that'll wake up my neighbours 5 blocks away when I come home at night. Just something that'll give me some better bass than factory. He's selling 4 subs actually, and I was wondering if 1 would be enough. If I get 1, I would have to get a box, he said if I buy 2 off him, he would just give me a box for 2 subs (cuz he already has it). So what do you think I should do? Get 1 and buy a new box? Or get the 2 with the box? And also will 1 be enough bass for me?
AF Nordic Crew #3
buh_buh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 07:51 PM   #2
94civic
AF Enthusiast

you should go with two subs
94civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 09:32 PM   #3
Marc-OS
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Marc-OS Send a message via AIM to Marc-OS
Get the 2subs w/ box. That way, you can have them pound when you want, and play lightly when you feel like it. Plus you won't have to go through the trouble of building a box.

4/8/04 - My CRX is officially dead, RIP Lucy
Marc-OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 09:48 PM   #4
buh_buh
AF Enthusiast

Well I was just going ot buy a new box. But would the 2 subs weigh a lot? Cuz I don't want it weighing my car down. There would be no point in me making it faster if I'm going to put a system in and weigh it down. That is like one of the most important things. Would 2 subs weigh a lot more than 1?
AF Nordic Crew #3
Old 02-15-2002, 10:08 PM   #5
Marc-OS
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Marc-OS Send a message via AIM to Marc-OS
The weight depends upon a lot of things, you could get a box that was made of 1/4" mdf and save quite a few pounds over a box that was made with 1/2" mdf, but there would be a small sacrifice in SQ. Also the subs themselves could weigh quite a bit, i'm bettin' you'd be adding a maximum of 70lbs with both subs and box, but it would probably weigh a lot less than that.

4/8/04 - My CRX is officially dead, RIP Lucy
Marc-OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 01:28 AM   #6
igo4bmx
Banned

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
i suggest get one sub and amp.. make sure the sub and amp can work properly.. seeeing the rf sub is prolly dual 4 ohm.. you can wire the dingle sub to 8 or 2 ohms... you would ne an amp stable down to 2 ohms to run that thing... also i don't like rf subs , their sq is pretty sh*tty.

i like my alpine type r which you can get for about 120 bucks.. get it as dual 4 ohm sub (DVC) and get a single amp stable down to 2 ohms... sparq could get you some good cheap amp that will be powerful enough. you will have a good bass driver.. little weight (alpine subs are about 20 lbs though)

jl, alpine, kicker are three subs i can't think of that are dvc and sound nice.
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 01:29 AM   #7
igo4bmx
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by buh_buh
Well I was just going ot buy a new box. But would the 2 subs weigh a lot? Cuz I don't want it weighing my car down. There would be no point in me making it faster if I'm going to put a system in and weigh it down. That is like one of the most important things. Would 2 subs weigh a lot more than 1?
just to let you know... my two type r subs and amps and all with box made my springs lower like half an inch b.c of all the weight... so you might wanna stay single sub
Old 02-16-2002, 02:11 AM   #8
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc-OS
1/4" mdf and save quite a few pounds over a box that was made with 1/2" mdf, but there would be a small sacrifice in SQ.
small sacrifice as long as your subs arent hitting hard! my eclipse was originally in a 1/2' mdf box and it nearly tore that apart it was so flimsy! its now in 1' mdf and theres still a little bulging on the strong hits. yeah i know thats heavy, ive got a single sub system probably weighing 150 pounds, and half the box is lightweight fiberglass, but comparing the sound before and after, its worth it to me.
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 04:55 AM   #9
buh_buh
AF Enthusiast

Well here's the deal.
The guy is willing to sell me his amp and 2 subs w/ box for $400CDN. If I buy 1 sub and amp without a box, its $300. So theoretically, the best deal would be if I got the 2 subs since buying a box would cost me $100 anyways. Except I'd be getting 1 less sub. But do I need 2 subs? How much would that weigh? What do you guys think? I know I'm getting a sweet deal, but I don't know if I even need all this.
AF Nordic Crew #3
Old 02-16-2002, 11:41 AM   #10
igo4bmx
Banned

you should be able to get one brand new sub for about 120 and an amp for about 200 or less box should be way less than 100 bucks i got my dual 12 sub mox made of mdf for about 60 on ebay with shipping.
Old 02-16-2002, 12:24 PM   #11
buh_buh
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by igo4bmx
you should be able to get one brand new sub for about 120 and an amp for about 200 or less box should be way less than 100 bucks i got my dual 12 sub mox made of mdf for about 60 on ebay with shipping.
These prices are in Canadian. So we're paying about the same for the box, and about the same for the sub. But the amp is a lot more. But I can get 1 sub and 1 amp without a box for $300, or 2 subs with a box and amp for $400. So theoretically, I can pay the same for 2 subs or 1 sub. I know it would be a lot smarter to get 2 subs because I'd be getting a way better deal, but I don't know if I need 2 subs. I don't want it to weigh my car down. I went to a stereo place, and they told me the amp (brand new) was $777, and the sub was $200 without the box.
AF Nordic Crew #3
Old 02-16-2002, 12:45 PM   #12
igo4bmx
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by buh_buh

These prices are in Canadian. So we're paying about the same for the box, and about the same for the sub. But the amp is a lot more. But I can get 1 sub and 1 amp without a box for $300, or 2 subs with a box and amp for $400. So theoretically, I can pay the same for 2 subs or 1 sub. I know it would be a lot smarter to get 2 subs because I'd be getting a way better deal, but I don't know if I need 2 subs. I don't want it to weigh my car down. I went to a stereo place, and they told me the amp (brand new) was $777, and the sub was $200 without the box.
then that sounds good.
Old 02-16-2002, 12:51 PM   #13
igo4bmx
Banned

turns out the amp is capable of 300 watts at 4 ohms so with two dvc subs.. they can be run at 4 ohms giving u the most power out of that amp.

just to let you know 300 watts ain't gonna be that powerful..

how much is $777 in us dollars? cuz you can get 500 or more watts for about 150-200
Old 02-16-2002, 01:51 PM   #14
buh_buh
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by igo4bmx
turns out the amp is capable of 300 watts at 4 ohms so with two dvc subs.. they can be run at 4 ohms giving u the most power out of that amp.

just to let you know 300 watts ain't gonna be that powerful..

how much is $777 in us dollars? cuz you can get 500 or more watts for about 150-200
$777 in US dollars is about $485.
What kind of amp are you getting for $150-200?
I have no clue when it comes to stereos. So if I get this amp, does it mean my subs won't be running to full potential?
AF Nordic Crew #3
Old 02-16-2002, 02:01 PM   #15
igo4bmx
Banned

alright 400 watts rms... each,..
that 300 watts is gonna be pretty weak for those two subs... ask email sparq for a good powerful amp that can run 4 ohms mono. he has some good stuff for cheap.

you could easily run a 800 watt amp to those subs..

and 485 sounds way too much for a sub amp that only puts out 300..