Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
big_sam_2004
AF Enthusiast

Muffler size question

Simple question, Im getting some flowmaster super 40's for my 2000 SS and want to know what size muffler I should get, the 2.25, 2.5 or 3 inch.... im not sure what it is stock, and Im only changing the mufflers, thanx in advance
big_sam_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
Vinney77
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Vinney77 Send a message via MSN to Vinney77
Re: Muffler size question

well the bigger the louder so it depends
Vinney77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
00mcss
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 00mcss
Re: Re: Muffler size question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinney77
well the bigger the louder so it depends
well u need to make sure u have the right pipe diameter i just did some exhaust work on my 00 SS and the pipes are 2.25 id(id=inside diameter) it doesnt matter what size the tips are but wherre the muffler is going to attact to the tubing MUST! be 2.25inches and if for some reason u want confirmation or anything just call cole muffler and they will be able to tell ya too hey let me know how they sound because i was debating between flowmaster,magnaflow,borla just curious what flowmaster would sound like on a 3.8L also heres a suggestion on ur car just after the cat u should have this long big pipe its the resonator take that out and put a straight pipe huge difference my stock exhaust sounds awesome!
00mcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:03 PM   #4
big_sam_2004
AF Enthusiast

Re: Muffler size question

THanks man, exactly what I needed, Ill let you know how it sounds, the 80 series flows I heard sound nice, but I havent heard the super 40's yet, Ill post sounds when I get em, should be in a week or two.... and where can I get that straight pipe?
big_sam_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
00mcss
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 00mcss
Re: Re: Muffler size question

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sam_2004
THanks man, exactly what I needed, Ill let you know how it sounds, the 80 series flows I heard sound nice, but I havent heard the super 40's yet, Ill post sounds when I get em, should be in a week or two.... and where can I get that straight pipe?
I got my straight pipe off of www.jegs.com go to exhaust tubing and u can find it there what u will need to do is go to like an advanced auto or pep boys and find a small pipe to connect the cat to the new tubing with the measurements of 2.25 id/id its flanged on both ends so it goes over the current pipeing trust me its not going to be an easy thing to do i had a real diff time getting the replacement pipe on and all but i think u would be happy with the results my car sounds like it has a performance exhaust on it and its all stock!! hope this helps!
00mcss is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo