Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
JFLS40
AF Newbie

Brake Squealing on Corners

Here is an exact history of whats been happening, maybe you can figure out whats up. First noticed squealing noise when making turns to the right, sounds like the brake wear indicators squealing, but when I ride the brakes it stops. now the squealing noise is happening more often when going straight but definately noticable when turning right curves.

It's hard to tell if it is coming from right or left side in the rear. I have rear disc brakes also. I took drivers side rear off today and the indicator wasn't touching the rotor but close, I did bend it out some. I didn't do any cleaning or anything else, I assumed what was happening was the weight of the truck turning the corners causing the indicator to touch. Well, it didn't take care of the problem. I had my wife drive and I sat on passenger side, I swear the sound was coming from that side... So i drove again and it sounds like its that side. Starting to piss me off now. Tommorrow I will ride in back and see if I can tell which side is doing it. I also looked through rim and could tell the passenger side indicator didn't seem to be touching. I can't get a good view of the front without taking the tires off but I think the noise is coming from the rear anyhow.

Here is my question. Is there another indicator on the back side or inner side of the brake pads?

and, if this problem is the wheel bearings, wouldn't the sound be constant.

Sorry to post so long, I am trying to be thorough.

I bought this truck used and rolled 4 grand from a car that was upside down in payments and I am starting to hope someone will hotwire from the driveway tonight and wrap it around a pole (without them getting hurt of course) so it will get paid off.

If anyone can help me here I would greatly appreciate it. Please send a reply to jfls40@yahoo.com if you dont mind.
JFLS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
Sonny01
AF Enthusiast

Re: Brake Squealing on Corners

"I bought this truck used and rolled 4 grand from a car that was upside down in payments and I am starting to hope someone will hotwire from the driveway tonight. If anyone can help me here I would greatly appreciate it."
So...where do you live and do you have a full tank of gas?
Sonny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:45 PM   #3
JFLS40
AF Newbie

I can't know about...

or that would make me an accessory to the fact...

seriously though, what do you think is causing the squealing noise?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
mjgjr72
AF Enthusiast

you really need to pull all the wheels and take a good look, the inbord pads tend to wear faster than the outboard and if i remember correctly from when i did mine some time ago there is a wear indicator on both pads, if it is a brake squel and not a metal sensor squel it could be a rust lip on the rotor , or broken hardware just take your time and look and if all else fails spend the 30 bucks to cut the rotors and put some 40 pads and get the lifetime warrenty through napa, but if you don't feel like it give me your adress and i'll stop by and take a look, (don't worry i don't need the keys and gas isn,t that expencive yet, and they'll never find the truck) you can always use spare parts. good luck.
mjgjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:19 PM   #5
JFLS40
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Brake Squealing on Corners

if it is a brake squel and not a metal sensor squel it could be a rust lip on the rotor ,

there is some rust lip where the pad wore down the metal on the rotor, how do i know if this is causing it and what can I do besided getting rotors turned down? I think if i got the rotors turned down it would probably put me below minimum thickness. I don't have the bucks to pay for new 95 dollar Wearever rotors right now.

Thanks for the help
Old 05-14-2004, 10:24 PM   #6
mjgjr72
AF Enthusiast

grind the lip down, run a file over it , or a grinder if you have one but try to grind just the rust lip off or you can file the edge of the pad off a little
mjgjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:55 PM   #7
Silverado Brethern
AF Enthusiast

the same thing happened to my 97 silverado and all it was were the brake pads wearing, there are two indicators on each pad and a new set can be purchased for $25 and take 30 mins to install
Silverado Brethern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:17 PM   #8
taxman82
AF Newbie

Same thing happened to my 99 Z-71 after I replaced the pads and had the rotors cut. Took everything apart and made sure that the slides front and back were cleaned and lubricated. This stopped my brake squeal, maybe that will help if there is no grease on them.
taxman82 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K