Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > MR2/MR-S
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 06:46 AM   #1
bob stone
AF Enthusiast

trany/shifting problems

1st issue hey all, got a 89 mr2 turbo, the shifting on it sucks, if the car is sitting still no movment at all, sometimes it can be reallllly hard to put it in to first, no grinding or anything it just dont wanna go in, I have found that if i shift in to first a foot or so before i come to a complete stop it is much easier, same for downshifting to first, I HAVE to to get the rev up to match what it will be on in first gear just to get it to move to first,

2nd issue kinda hard to shift in to all the gears (first is the most promint one) it is just harder then you would expect to shift, also if I am gunning it when i try to shift to 2nd from 1st redline it is also really hard to shift, again no grinding or anything, it just does not want to engage, seems to like it once the rpms lower and then it goes in a lot better.

3rd and 4th issue these gears seem to be reallly clutch touchy , if i pop the clutch and quick shift to them it gives a little grind ( i feel it in the shift knob more then i hear it ) but if i pop the clutch and take time to shift it dosnt happen, so if i rush it it happens if i take my time it dosn't

reverse issue 2 things here, some times it grinds like crazy when i shift to reverse ( mostly after i have been driving for a while ) some times it is fine, also diffrent kind of hard to put it in to gear on reverse, i can put it half way in to gear if i let up on clutch as it is then it gives some grind snd sometimes, but if i pull it in to gear and slowley let up on the clutch it will drop the rest of the way in.

well typeing this all out makes me think i should get a new tranny :P but I was hopeing that someone here can give me a quick fix, like I read that redline tranny fluid can do some wonders to tranny's but if i have to I will just replace it :P

Thanks
Bob Stone

But those smarter yet
Will never forget
That the simplest answer is usually most true.
bob stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
SHORTYBOY113
AF Enthusiast

Re: trany/shifting problems

i have all the same problems 2 i want to no the answers also.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
foxman18
AF Newbie

i had the same problem even after i got a new trans. there is a rubber bushing down on the clutch pedal and mine was cracked so the clutch wasn't engaging all the way replace that and it should be fine, cheaper than a new trans and clutch
foxman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
bob stone
AF Enthusiast

foxman can you post up some pics of this bushing ?? I can work on cars sort of ( I replaced my tie rod by my self ) but i am not to hot on figuring out what is what

But those smarter yet
Will never forget
Old 06-22-2005, 08:57 PM   #5
willowlee
AF Regular

try putting in those synchromesh tranny fluid.
willowlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
bob stone
AF Enthusiast

syncro mesh ??? what is it ??

also i have heard about redline mt-90 75W90 GL-4 is that any good for a MT 89 turbo, is gl-4 the proper rating ?

But those smarter yet
Will never forget
Old 06-22-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
MR2turbo93
AF Enthusiast

i have the same problem but my shifter bushings are shot.....and probably the clutch one too.......as far as reverse.... if you cant get it in all the way put it into 2nd for a sec with the clutch depressed then shift into reverse with it still depressed it works on alot of cars .....and it's in the manual for the car
Old 06-23-2005, 11:01 PM   #8
pbaddict03120
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to pbaddict03120 Send a message via Skype™ to pbaddict03120
i can tell you why your reverse is doing that. Almost all manual tranmissions do this at some point. It is because(i'm not sure if its your input or output shaft) is spinning. I belive the input. For some cars the shaft must be sitting still to engage correctly this is why it grinds. For the reason that the shifter goes half in then when you slowly raise the clutch it pops in is because the input and output shafts halfway engage but cannot engange further because they are not lined up correctly. When you raise your clutch pedal this spins the shaft just enough for it to engage fully. Some body correct me if I am wrong.
pbaddict03120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:43 PM   #9
willowlee
AF Regular

Re: Re: trany/shifting problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob stone
syncro mesh ??? what is it ??

also i have heard about redline mt-90 75W90 GL-4 is that any good for a MT 89 turbo, is gl-4 the proper rating ?
it is a type of tranny fluid used for gm motors, but is found to work really good in most japanese cars. it helps with grinding and rough shifting. i have only heard good things about the fluid. some people say it's like magic. you might want to try it out and see if it works. you could find them at amazon.com. that's where my brother got his.
willowlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:04 PM   #10
NJMR2
AF Newbie

wow people have the same problem. Ive been afraid to post thinking someone will tell me i need a new tranny. My clutch is new. 4th grinds when i shift fast, and it doesnt like to take first like you explained. I just ordered the twosrus shift kit with aluminum bushings, im hoping that will help, i guess ill try the transmission fluid also.
NJMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:01 PM   #11
MR2turbo93
AF Enthusiast

foxman do you have the part number for the bushing on the clutch?
Old 07-02-2005, 08:49 AM   #12
jtopel
AF Newbie

I have an 87 N/A that i think needs the little rubber peice replaced, what is the PN? anyone have it?

i thought for sure my clutch was goin on me, glad i decided to check here first
jtopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:39 PM   #13
christo4_99
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to christo4_99 Send a message via Yahoo to christo4_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaddict03120
i can tell you why your reverse is doing that. Almost all manual tranmissions do this at some point. It is because(i'm not sure if its your input or output shaft) is spinning. I belive the input. For some cars the shaft must be sitting still to engage correctly this is why it grinds. For the reason that the shifter goes half in then when you slowly raise the clutch it pops in is because the input and output shafts halfway engage but cannot engange further because they are not lined up correctly. When you raise your clutch pedal this spins the shaft just enough for it to engage fully. Some body correct me if I am wrong.
question:What exactly do you suppose is spinning the input shaft?answer:It's basically weak clutch springs.The clutch and pressure plate are still contacting ever so slightly even with the clutch all the way in.Note:When a new clutch is installed make sure you adjust the rod on the clutch pedal so there is some play because if you don't the throwout bearing will continually ride the clutch fins and wear both out prematurely.
christo4_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:58 PM   #14
drazhartd
AF Enthusiast

I have the same problems.

MT90 Redline fluid eliminated grinding/crunching.

The car still hates quick shifting from high rpm though

-91 NA mr2

91 MR2
Looking for Sparco steering wheel, or Momo Jet (black) wheel. Email pics, let's make a deal!
drazhartd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:16 PM   #15
bob stone
AF Enthusiast

new issue arose, i am now getting a chirping sound, like a constant low volume med- high pitch chirp comming from trany / engine area when ever clutch in engaged , even if car is not in gear as long as i do not have the clutch pedal pushed in i hear this noise, ? does not seem to be related to rpm, if i am driving fast or slow it seems to make the sound at the same rate, any ideas on this also

But those smarter yet
Will never forget

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > MR2/MR-S