Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Tracker
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
drhalleron
AF Newbie

Electrical problem 2003 Tracker

Hi. I've searched and read some posts, but haven't seen this problem. It's my wife's car. The dealer has replaced the ignition switch and an aftermarket security system that they installed before we bought the Tracker. We will be taking the car back to the dealer for the 4th time soon for the same problem, yet to be fixed. The car has almost 36,000 miles.

Intermittently, it seems more on colder days but on warm days too, the heater fan blower will stay on after removing the key. She has to turn off the switch to the heater. Other times, the headlights will come on after the key is removed. This eventually runs down the battery. When we jump start the car, before it is fully charged, a relay under the dash near the steering wheel will click for a while. It clicks a lot, when the battery is so dead the car won't start. Any ideas?

Thanks! Dale
drhalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
gkindub
AF Regular

Re: Electrical problem 2003 Tracker

drhalleron, I would look into how exactly the after market security system was wired in. Who the hell is going to steal a Tracker anyway! The electrical system on the Tracker like everything else is low budget. The ignition switch does not have an accessory position so everything is either on or off, so to keep power to the alarm system after the key is turned off requires some sort of bypass wiring (unless it connected directly to the battery).
Best of Luck, gb
gkindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
drhalleron
AF Newbie

I wouldn't steal a Tracker. I wish someone would steal this one!!!

It's not really a security system. It's one of those pads under the dashboard that you have to touch with the little plastic fob on the key ring. All it does is disable the starter somehow like on my Ford F150 except it is an extra step to get the car started. This dealer just put it on the car before we bought it and it happened to be the car my wife wanted at the time. I think they added $900 to the cost of the car. That was a waste of money.

It's at the dealer today. Another few hundred miles and the warranty will be gone. Stay tuned for another episode of "As the Tracker Wheels Turn..."
Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
drhalleron
AF Newbie

We got rid of the Tracker in late 2006. It was in the shop under warranty 5 or 6 times for the same electrical problem. They kept it for several days at a time and gave my wife a loaner car. We figured she had the loaner at least 30 - 45 days total.

I dug out the service records. Here is what they tried:

1/25/06 – checked ignition switch
2/9/06 – Disconnected alarm system
4/19/06 – Replaced Ambient light sensor
5/24/06 – Cleaned ignition grounds (whatever that means)
6/28/06 – Found HVAC/Blower motor Control/Headlamp at fuse box connector corroded Repaired connector CON-C207 Pins 6-7-8-9 in back half of fuse panel.

That last thing must have fixed it. The Tracker ran ok until we traded it in on Labor Day 2006.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
jazzman1
AF Newbie

I am having similar problems. two different dealers looked at it. the cars computer was replaced, but that is not it. i removed the after market car starter and that did not help either
jazzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Tracker