Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
skrizan
AF Newbie

Caliper replacement - Leaking

95 S10 2WD Pickup 2.2 238,000

I am changing calipers because I changed pads a couple of months back and the pistons did not move well at all. I thought the truck was pulling to the right a little when I braked, and with recent rains, I have been having one tire lockup while the other is still rolling. Not too safe, and winter is coming.

So, I replaced front driver side brake caliper last night, and I think it has a slow leak where the brake line connects to the caliper. I used the new washers that came with the caliper, but I accidentally left one of the old washers on the bolt the first time. It was leaking so I took it apart and used two new washers and torqued it to 32 ft lbs. I wiped everything clean after bleeding and put some newspaper down. this morning I found a spot on the paper about the size of a 50 cent piece. What should I do? Tighten it some more? DO I need new washers, and fi so what do I do different? Also, Autozone wants 99 cents per washer! A buddy of mine who used to be a mechanic said he always used the old ones without a problem.

I have to change the other caliper tonight, and I used the washers that came with it on the other caliper, so if I shouldn't use the old ones I might have to break down and buy at least 2, maybe 4, if I need to use new ones on the one that is leaking also.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Steve
skrizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: Caliper replacement - Leaking

New washers are better.
You might up the torque a few lbs.
A drip oernight may be from someplace else.
Was it wet around the copper washers?
Clean the area off around the bolt and washes and have some one start engine and push down on brake pedal hard.
If it is leaking around waskers there you should see it.

If still leaking remove brake hose and check caliper surface and hose to washer surface.
May be buried up or have a cut in it.
Good Luck
Old 10-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
wafrederick
Banned

There is one thing to with the new copper washers: throw them away!They do not seal worth a darn and the old washers seal up better.I have seen bad luck with them
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
The_Mechanic_33
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafrederick View Post
There is one thing to with the new copper washers: throw them away!They do not seal worth a darn and the old washers seal up better.I have seen bad luck with them

I agree most of the time use the old washers,if you do use the new ones tighten them and loosin them several times to compress the grooves and imperfections in the casting of the hose and caliper.and always check to make sure the hose is not twisted.

Please post: Year,Make,Model,Engine Size.
The_Mechanic_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizan View Post
95 S10 2WD Pickup 2.2 238,000

I used the new washers that came with the caliper, but I accidentally left one of the old washers on the bolt the first time. It was leaking so I took it apart and used two new washers and torqued it to 32 ft lbs. I wiped everything

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Steve
from this comment if you used 2 washers on the hose fitting this is why it leaked..one washer on the fitting to the new caliper,,,also make sure the caliper seating surface has no defects ,,,alot of crap/aftermaket defective parts out there.went thru this myself on purchasing calipers from advance auto..those had defective pistons and severely corroded metal...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
skrizan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
from this comment if you used 2 washers on the hose fitting this is why it leaked..one washer on the fitting to the new caliper,,,also make sure the caliper seating surface has no defects ,,,alot of crap/aftermaket defective parts out there.went thru this myself on purchasing calipers from advance auto..those had defective pistons and severely corroded metal...
Yes, I removed the washers, including the extra one and used two new ones and it still leaked a little. I tightened a little last night and no drip on the ground this morning. I changed the other one and re-used the old washers and it has a small leak as of this morning, so I tightened it a little and will check it again when I get home.

Unfortunately, I also found where the metal separated from the pad on one of the 2 month old brake pads I installed. LLT from Autozone, I may upgrade to the ceramics and be done with brakes for the rest of the life of this truck.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Are you sure the leak is around washers.

If leaking it should leak more under pressure than sitting over night.

Start engine and have someone step on brake pedal farily hard and hold down a few minutes and watch for leakage.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Yes, I removed the washers, including the extra one and used two new ones and it still leaked a little. I tightened a little last night and no drip on the ground this morning. I changed the other one and re-used the old washers and it has a small leak as of this morning, so I tightened it a little and will check it again when I get home.

Unfortunately, I also found where the metal separated from the pad on one of the 2 month old brake pads I installed. LLT from Autozone, I may upgrade to the ceramics and be done with brakes for the rest of the life of this truck.
I would get another caliper ,,,must be defective ,,,old/new washers it should not leak...used old /new never had leaks...

this time around instead of the extemely over priced OEM brake pads I used the lifetime warrantee advanced auto silver pads..these work just as good as OEM so far they look like new 2 months old now..front/rear...

what about your rear drums ? the rear drums wear out then the fronts do all the braking...check that the shoes are worn on the entire circumference..if not just at the top of shoe the drums are worn out..
could be why the front pads separated...
Old 10-26-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
skrizan
AF Newbie

No more leaks, but I am starting to wonder if they were actually ever leaking at all. It was very humid around here while I was working on this, and this fluid collects moisture like crazy. I spilled it all over the brake line while changing the calipers, and the old calipers leaked fluid onto my work bench. I noticed the spot where I wiped up the fliuid on the work bench had beaded up water droplets. I am thinking the fluid on the lines was collecting moisture from the air and that is actually what was dripping.

I changed the drum brakes 20,000 miles or so ago, should be fine. I will check to see if they need adjusting. I think the passenger side caliper was really the problem, it pulled hard right when I put the new caliper on the driver side.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
No more leaks, but I am starting to wonder if they were actually ever leaking at all. It was very humid around here while I was working on this, and this fluid collects moisture like crazy. I spilled it all over the brake line while changing the calipers, and the old calipers leaked fluid onto my work bench. I noticed the spot where I wiped up the fliuid on the work bench had beaded up water droplets. I am thinking the fluid on the lines was collecting moisture from the air and that is actually what was dripping.

I changed the drum brakes 20,000 miles or so ago, should be fine. I will check to see if they need adjusting. I think the passenger side caliper was really the problem, it pulled hard right when I put the new caliper on the driver side.
the problem with dot3 brake fluid is the mositure problem with it ,
when working the brake fluid and also the a/c refrigerent doing this work on a dry day is best if possible...
driping to the ground however means you had a leak...
I would consider bleeding the calipers again just to be sure the fluid is still clear some time in the future...replacing the brake fluid is a good idea every few years...

the rear shoes should be checked for adjustment , do you use the park brake ? try using the park brake a few times to see if the shoes adjust/work as before...if not as good then the adjustment would be required..
Old 10-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
skrizan
AF Newbie

Adjusted the drum brakes last night. Seemed to help a lot, and in the nick of time. This morning I had three deer run out in front of me, brakes worked like a charm. In the condition they were prior to the caliper replacement I would have hit one for sure.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10