Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
devil34
AF Newbie

Smile 1998-2002 Trooper Fog Lamp Install w/ factory wiring

Hi all,

I just wanted to let everyone with a 1998-2002 Trooper without fog lamps know that you can install aftermarket units with the factory wiring and a few parts.

My 1998 Trooper Limited came with fog lamps and I purchased a 2002 LS which did not, now they do come in handy and look good so I purchased PIAA 1400 in black to install in the 2002.

Now before I started he install I was checking the dash location where the factory switch would be as that would have been the best location for the PIAA switch, I removed the blank covers and found the end of the factory harness there to my surprise. So then I checked under the front bumper and found there was the wiring already there for the factory fog lamps, sweet! So the next step was to check the relay/fuse box under the hood. The spot where the fog lamp relay was open, no relay as I expected, but the wiring was there, I checked with a multi-meter and found 12v of power.
I checked the end of the dash plug and found it to be the same as the one used for the heated mirror switch in the console. I called a few salvage yards and found one with a 2000 Trooper, went there and pulled out the relays from the under hood box (took them all, you never know and they are all the same so if one goes bad you have a extra), and removed the heated mirror/power mirror switch assembly. This model in the yard did not have fog lamps, oh well. Went back home, installed the relay and plugged in the heated mirror switch in the harness and popped it in the dash, I turned my lights on and pushed the switch, bingo it lit up, I went and checked, with the multi-meter, the connections under the bumper, bingo, power! So I shut the lights off and with a razor knife, cut out the indent in the bumper where the fog lamps would be. Now, I think that is all the dealer does as well to install the lamps, as there are already the channels where you should cut on the inside part of the bumper, the plastic is soft so you will get through it with just a few strokes of the razor. I removed the bolt above the hole and used a longer nut/bolt to mount my lamps your lamps may mount differently. I cut the ends of my factory harnesses as I was not using OEM lamps, the factory wires are red/black, so it was easy to wire the lamps. I used butt connectors to tie the 2 wires on each side together and turned the lights back on, pushed the switch and working fog lamps, without running any wiring!

Now I do not know if this will work with pre 1998 troopers, but I checked a few other Troopers (a 1998, 2000, and 2002) and they have the same wiring there so it should work for most applications.

Parts list:

1- Switch, if your lucky enough to find a fog lamp switch, good, if not you can use the much more common heated mirror switch, I made a P-Touch label with the word ”FOG” to cover the mirror symbol on the switch, lol.
2- Relay, I found all the relays in that row in the under hood fuse box to be the same, so I pulled them all to keep, just pop one in your truck and your good to go.
3- Fog lamps, most of the regular square lamps are too big to fit on the hole, you can get the narrow style which look good, I like the round PIAA 1400 Dichroic series in black as they produced a bright multicolor spot style light, they look a bit small in the square hole but are very bright, just get something with a 2 wire lead that will fit and your good to go.

Hope that helps someone,

Joe

PS: will post photos soon.
PPS: PIAA link: http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/1400.html
devil34 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard