Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
dr.d.575
AF Newbie

Clanking sound when I accelerate

I have a 2001 Lincoln LS V8. It has 105K miles on it. It started to make a weird sound but I'm not sure where it is coming from. It sounds like a banging sound and it only does it when I am accelerating from 0-15 mph, and after that it's smooth sailing. It took it to a mechanic and he said he thought it was something called a carrier bearing. I took it to another person and he said it might be the transmission. If someone could help please!! Thanks
dr.d.575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Clanking sound when I accelerate

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds are one of the most difficult things to diagnose on the forums since they are rarely described completely and someone's clank may be another persons bang.

To start with, let's try to get some more details. Is it a single bang, or is it a periodic bang that increases in frequency from 0-15 mph? Does it happen all the time? What happens if you try to accelerate (safely) in reverse? Do you get any evidence of the noise if you slowly increase the engine speed with the transmission in Park or Neutral? Do either of the shops have a Chassis Ear so they can pinpoint the area the noise is coming from better? If not, you might call around for a shop in your area (don't rule out body shops) that does have a Chassis Ear. This is a tool with a bunch of color-coded clip-on microphones that get placed in various locations on the car. The technician wears a set of headphones and switches between the microphones to determine where the noise is loudest. The other microphones are then placed closer to the loud one and the process repeated until the source of the noise is pinpointed.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2001 , clank , sound , speedup , transmission
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ