Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
wiredcpa
AF Newbie

1999 Windstar stalls

I have a 1999 windstar 3.8 with around 100,000 miles. It has an intermittent stall problem after the engine warms up. At highway speeds it will hesitate and stall making the vehicle feel like a roller coaster ride. Some times when coming to a stop the problem will manifest and kill the engine. I don't suspect IAC since it occurs both when I am in the gas and out. IAC was replaced a few years back. When the car dies, most times it will refire immediately although on one occasion I coasted into a parking lot and it took two or three minutes to get it restarted. I have replaced the DPFE and cleaned the MAF sensor. Camshaft position sensor was replaced a few months back. The work for the TSB about the bad valve pan design was completed at the Ford garage a few years ago. I drive 12 miles to work and the problem almost never shows up in that time. It usually takes 20 or 30 minutes. The problem has been increasing in severity and frequency. The problem is not causing the check engine light to illuminate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
wiredcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
CnlK
AF Regular

Re: 1999 Windstar stalls

While at least a dozen different things can cause those symptoms, my 2000 was behaving in the exact same way. In my case I ended up replacing the MAF sensor. The PCM never set any trouble codes. I narrowed it down to the MAF after it really started stalling at idle and bucking at highway speeds, a cleaning of the MAF helped but did not elimate the problem. I bought one from a junk yard for $60.00. Other things known to give problems are the fuel pump relay, fuel pump, and ignition coil. You mentioned replacing the camshaft position sensor, is the synchronizer (what the sensor is mounted on) making any noise? If so that could also be source of your problem.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
northern piper
AF Enthusiast

don't want to state the obvious but you've checked all sources for vacuum leak? I've had many problems like you have and several times it's been vac.

Piper
Muskoka Canada
northern piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

... and you may have one of the very few, percentage wise, '99's that have a powertrain harness worn in-two against the firewall mounted ac tubing.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
dwalto02
AF Newbie

I have the exact same problem. Have you resolved it?
dwalto02 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar