Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
garyda
AF Newbie

94 Sunbird cooling fan not working

Got a 94 sunbird with a cooling fan not working. I can put the a\c on also and it
still will not come on. The car is low on freon and has a bad compressor. I always thought you could check the relay by turning on the a\c. Any help would be appreciated.
garyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
Smokefan20
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Smokefan20 Send a message via Yahoo to Smokefan20
Re: 94 Sunbird cooling fan not working

I had the fan to stop working on my '91 camaro. If you want to mickey mouse it till you get it figured out. You could do as I did and run the hot wire into the fuse panel. Just make sure you use good heavy wire, And run it to a fuse that is only hot when the ignition is on. I DO NOT recommend this for long term use.Only if your stuck, Or wanna get it to the shop w/o over heating.
GOODLUCK!
Smokefan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
Madcat455
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyda
Got a 94 sunbird with a cooling fan not working. I can put the a\c on also and it
still will not come on. The car is low on freon and has a bad compressor. I always thought you could check the relay by turning on the a\c. Any help would be appreciated.
I believe that the AC triggers the same relay... even so, odds are agianst both failing at the same time. I'm betting a bad fan motor, or power supply problem to the fan.

You can check to see if it's the relay or motor... You'll need a test light and a Jumper wire. First, with the test light, Make sure the RED wire on the relay has constant power (even with the key off).. that should be on a fusable link to the starter post. If that has power, then use the jumper wire. Unplug the relay harness and Jump the RED wire to the BLACK/RED or BLACK wire.... NOT the brown/white or the dark green/white wires (don't want to F up your ECM). If the fan turns on, then it's fine. You probably have a bad relay (as they commonly go bad after time), cheap part to try. Get one and throw it on.. if it still doesn't work then we have to check other things, but I doubt it'll come to that.

If the RED wire doesn't have power, then you need a new fusable link. Real PITA to replace since the starter is a bitch to get at...lol. But I once just bolted it onto the battery post and spliced it onto the RED relay wire... worked fine for me.

Good Luck.
Madcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:39 AM   #4
garyda
AF Newbie

Is the relay the on the firwall by the battery? I noticed there is another one on the firewall directly in front of the dash???
Old 04-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
Madcat455
AF Regular

Quote:
Is the relay the on the firwall by the battery? I noticed there is another one on the firewall directly in front of the dash???
Yep.. it's the one next to the battery. Other one is for the fuel pump I believe.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
garyda
AF Newbie

I had to change the fan motor, thanks for all the help. The fan will run when turn on the ac like it should but it also does with the defroster and heater on to. Is this normal???
Old 04-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
Madcat455
AF Regular

Quote:
I had to change the fan motor, thanks for all the help. The fan will run when turn on the ac like it should but it also does with the defroster and heater on to. Is this normal???
Normal for the defroster (regardless where the temp is set at) as that runs the Compressor.... reasons are unknown to me, but it's like that on pretty much every vehicle I've been in... even the wifes 05 Mazda.

Not sure about the heater..... If you have it on heat (comming out the floor), I don't rember Mine ever running. But I don't have the belt on now, so I can't run and check.

Glad you got it fixed.... It takes much less temp. levels to harm the 1.8 & 2.0 OHC engines compared to regular engines. Gotta keep 'em cool.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > General Discussion