Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 08:19 AM   #1
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Tamiya Thin Cement

Just got some Tamiya thin cement (one with the green cap) and what where Tamiya thinknig when they screwed the cap on.

Try as I might, normal hand grip just wouldn't open it. And trust me, I gave it plenty of force, but it wasn't about to open.

I had to take a pair of grips to the cap, and then use as a lever on the cap to get it open. Once it opened this huge sound of, well like opening a coca cola bottle sounded, like it was air tight..!! Still it's open now, wonder how good it is.

Also got some Tamiya CA cement - Doe this work like super glue? In fact I've got so much glue now, don't know what is right to do what really..

I'll read the FAQ, now I've got it, best to find out what the best applications for these glues are..
mickbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #2
sjelic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to sjelic
Re: Tamiya Thin Cement

This is strange for the thin cement, it was probably somewhere on hot place so the fumes glued the cap air tight and that is why you have had a problem with it, not sure if it has lost some of it's strenght. Best solution is to try it.
CA is superglue and it works like any superglue, so tight, doesn't desolve plastic etc. It is good for metal to plastic metal to metal but also for painted plastic because it won't harm the paint job (I mean it will if you just put a drop on the roof but if you for example glue a rear spoiler on the painted body then it is perfect, just be sure to put very small amount, so you don't get nasty spills.

SCALEMAKERS

MK Grunf modelling club Croatia
sjelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Just tested the thin cement with some test parts. It does dry fast. Takes a while to harden, and it sticks almost as soon as you place the parts together..

I've been using revell conacta - compared to Tamiya, Revell is rubbish..!! With revell I've been pressing parts together, and sitting there with the parts in my hands for like 5 mintues.. That gets boring..!! Like watching paint dry, only with glue.. Plus Tamiya cement is super thin.. Really easy to apply.

I was using Micro Scale weld as well, but that takes a long time to set, and the parts fall apart easy..!! Once set it is good, but this Tamiya stuff is much better..
Old 03-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #4
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

I use superglue (CA glue) for everything. I do use the Testor's brush on glue for some limited applications though.

mikemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:14 PM   #5
Asmenoth
AF Premium User

As far as liquid cement goes...I usually use Tenax 7-R, good stuff...might have to goto to the hobby shop tomorrow or Saturday and see if I can pick up some of the Tamiya stuff...oh darn...

No Officer, the speedometer only goes up to 85.
Asmenoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
Lurchio
AF Enthusiast

Hey Mick, where did you get the thin cement from?
Lurchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:00 AM   #7
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Lurchio -

I got it sent from the US here - http://www.best1hobby.com/. I ordered a bottle of normal tamiya cement, as well as two sticks of CA cement and some polishing cloths (Very nice soft cloths to put wax on with). I like to order enough to make the EMS postages worthwhile.

I will also say - Tamiya Thin cement - superb stuff. Used it last night and this morning I can hold the entire care with the glued part. Very strong..!!

As for best hobby 1, not sure how good they were, but they sent my goods ok.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:26 AM   #8
Lurchio
AF Enthusiast

I've got best 1 hobby on my favourites but have yet to order anything. Didn't know you could import cement - thought it was restricted - might have another look at their site then as they do some lovely kits!

BTW still waiting for my bloody micromesh cloths! Was hoping they'd be here today!
Old 03-04-2005, 07:19 AM   #9
Lurchio
AF Enthusiast

Mick, Out of interest how much did you have to pay for shipping. Just seen some parts on there I'd like (thin cement, polishing cloths, wax) but was worried about the shipping cost!

I just cannot understand why none of this stuff is available in the UK!!! Aaarrgh!!!
Old 03-04-2005, 07:59 AM   #10
mickbench
AF Fanatic

I actually had it shipped via airmail and I had -

2 x Tamiya CA glue
1 x Tamiya Extra Thin Cement (Green Cap)
1 x Tamiya Cement (Orange Cap)
2 x Detail master polishing cloths (to apply wax etc)
1 x Tamiya Model Wax

Cost me $14.95 shipping which is around £7.00 shippment charges. Considering most in the UK charge £3.50 for postage, I didn't think it was too bad.

I too was surprised they sent the cement, as even the label says -Inflammable.

Still they sent the whole order, and I've got enough cement and wax for many models now.

As for your micromesh, it will arrive. As with all things to do with models takes time.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:04 AM   #11
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Oh - and I too can't seem to think why a lot of this stuff isn't in the UK.

It's not just wax etc.. Lots of Tamiya products aren't in UK stores, online shops etc..

Rubbing compound
Wax
Cement
Some of the putty products
Even some of the TS sprays are hard to find.
Tamiya Enamel paints
Tamiya Primer

It's odd, I agree. Thankfully we can get it all shipped in from somewhere, so all is not lost. Otherwise we would be forced to keep using products that aren't as good.

Revell Cement
Revell Putty
Humbrol Clear glue

All rubbish.. I've tried them all, and Tamiya and Microscale beat the lot...!!
Old 03-04-2005, 08:28 AM   #12
Lurchio
AF Enthusiast

I use Humbrol cement (pinky purple bottle) with needle and Revell contacta I think with a brush.

Humbrol is ok but starts to go stringy very quickly once I put it on a plate and apply with cocktail stick etc.
revell stays open much longer but is not quite as good (in my mind)

If we (UK modelers) were slightly organised we should order in a large batch of the stuff and even sell it on ebay for a profit!

For now I'll keep ordering abroad and paying shipping!
I thought I'd save money by not buying anymore kits (got loads now and have yet to finish one) but spending a fortune on accessories!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling