Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corsica
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
Krayzie_Bone
AF Newbie

89 ignition wont shut off

I have a 1989 2.0 liter corsica. The ignition will not turn off once it is started. I had to use pliars once but then it started to turn fine, but now it wont turn back off at all. I have it sitting with the battery disconnected. Has anyone else had this problem? How much am I look at to getting this fixed? The car is on its last legs but its great on gas and I would like to run it untill it dies. Those Corsicas fight untill there last breath.
Krayzie_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
jsgold
AF Enthusiast

The most likley thing is your key switch. Your actual start switch is usually down the steering shaft, controlled by actuator rod. The key switch wears out and jams. Not likely the start switch or the rod. I have never removed my Corsica's (91) key switch but I have removed the one on my 93 Blazer.Did same thing as yours. Looking at the service manual on my Corsica the procedure looks the same. On an 89 I would hope it would also be as GM most likely has used this set up for a long time. If I am mistaken someone please correct me. Would not hurt to pick up a Haynes manual just in case, and you most likely will need two tools. A steering wheel puller, and a shaft lock retaining spring removal tool. Neither are very expensive, would suggest Autozone as I know they sell them. I did not find them at Advance and NAPA stuff would be expensive. You will need to buy the key switch from a GM dealer, do NOT buy this from Autozone or Advance as they usually show multiple choices and hard to guess what you need. You can remove the switch first and try to match up but gettiing this from a dealer is safest way to get the right one(in MY opinion). Also will need to get a shaft lock retaining spring. Just a small clip, but you will need it as the old one usually gets bent while taking out. Unhook the battery, then remove the steering wheel. Need the wheel puller for this and be careful not to break any wires. Should be a small disconnect you can unplug for horn wire. Once the wheel if off you have to compress the round retainer and remove the small clip. Can be a small pain to do and will most likely bend. Release the tool and take the cover assy off , spring, clip, etc. and you should be able to see switch. Then you can then remove the screw(s) holding it in. Replace switch and reinstall everything. Really should have a book handy for this. One thing I forgot, you might be able to borrow the tools at Autozone, or, maybe the Advance in your area has these available. I know they loan tools (with a deposit). Not a lot of money to do this, even if you have to buy the tools. Neither was over 15 bucks as I remember, and the switch may run 30+-. Haynes book, another 15 or so. Your car being a 89 there should be no SIR restraint system to worry about. If I am wrong on that I am not sure I would fool with it. Not sure what this would cost to have done elsewhere. I am going by memory here so I may be leaving something out, but this is the jist of it. If you are careful it should not be a very expensive repair. Just do not bend or destroy any of the electrical components.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:20 AM   #3
michelq
AF Regular

Re: 89 ignition wont shut off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayzie_Bone
I have a 1989 2.0 liter corsica. The ignition will not turn off once it is started. I had to use pliars once but then it started to turn fine, but now it wont turn back off at all. I have it sitting with the battery disconnected. Has anyone else had this problem? How much am I look at to getting this fixed? The car is on its last legs but its great on gas and I would like to run it untill it dies. Those Corsicas fight untill there last breath.
the key cyl is bad on it it cost around 75 dollars.more.less
michelq is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corsica