Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
jasom
AF Newbie

Fuel filter

I have a 2004 LS 4X4 tahoe with a 4.8 . I'm looking for the location of where the fuel filter is located. I've been told 5 different places so I hope someone can give me a deffinate answer. I looked under the hood on drivers side by the firewall, along the frame rail, and and behind the tank. I was told its in the tank and non servicable if thats true great. I just want to be sure of its location. Thanks for anyone who can answer me this.
jasom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: Fuel filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasom View Post
I have a 2004 LS 4X4 tahoe with a 4.8 . I'm looking for the location of where the fuel filter is located. I've been told 5 different places so I hope someone can give me a deffinate answer. I looked under the hood on drivers side by the firewall, along the frame rail, and and behind the tank. I was told its in the tank and non servicable if thats true great. I just want to be sure of its location. Thanks for anyone who can answer me this.
Only dodge pickups done things like that.

Should be on inside frame area under drivers seat area.

Follow the presure line from back of engine back to fuel tank.
In line filter small pint size steel can.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
jasom
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500 View Post
Only dodge pickups done things like that.

Should be on inside frame area under drivers seat area.

Follow the presure line from back of engine back to fuel tank.
In line filter small pint size steel can.

Let us know how it goes.
I have checked all along that frame rail and followed that line all the way till it goes behind the tank. I will recheck it as soon as I get done with my truck. Thanks
Old 05-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
jasom
AF Newbie

Quote:
I have checked all along that frame rail and followed that line all the way till it goes behind the tank. I will recheck it as soon as I get done with my truck. Thanks
I have rechecked and I do not see it on the inside or outside of the frame rail anywhere. I have a chiltons and it says nothing and I looked at the owners manual and it says nothing.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
jthomp23777
AF Regular

Though you have a Chilton's manuel. The cheesest one should indentify the fuel filter location and removal and replace. Again, should be bascially on the fuel rail, underneaneath the drivers seat.Don't think they change the location from a 4.8 and 5.3 and up.Again, it's a cyclinder object with a steel line going in one side and out the other..If MT 2500 doesn't know, then it's a Tahoe bought in China....
jthomp23777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
jasom
AF Newbie

I'm like everyone else on this I know what I'm looking for and I know where it should be, but I can follow the fuel lines all the way from the fuel rail down along the tranny and it crosses over to the frame where it goes behind the fuel tank and from there I cant see it. So thats why I called a few people then came on here to see if I was missing something.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
jasom
AF Newbie

heres is some pics from the front of the torsion bar to the back. Along the frame on the drivers side.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...owa/tahoe2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...a/tahoe4-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...owa/tahoe3.jpg
Old 05-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I'm like everyone else on this I know what I'm looking for and I know where it should be, but I can follow the fuel lines all the way from the fuel rail down along the tranny and it crosses over to the frame where it goes behind the fuel tank and from there I cant see it. So thats why I called a few people then came on here to see if I was missing something.
GM has changed the fuel filter location,,,yes it's in your tank...on my 2000 silverado its at the frame rail.....call dealer with your vin # they will verify this ...

so why are you concerned about this ? do you have vehicle issues ?
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Tahoerider
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
GM has changed the fuel filter location,,,yes it's in your tank...on my 2000 silverado its at the frame rail.....call dealer with your vin # they will verify this ...

so why are you concerned about this ? do you have vehicle issues ?
Just a thought here check the auto store web site. Advance, the zone or O'rielys. Search for the filter, one of the site should have a pic. and have a how to section and location.
Tahoerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
jasom
AF Newbie

No I wasnt having any issues I just wanted to change all of them in my vehicles since none of them had ever been changed and before any of them started having problems. So I went to the O Riellys and got a filter for each vehicle and the one they gave me for the tahoe was the same as my truck. I hadnt even looked for it before I went and got them. I just assumed like everyone else it was along the frame rail. So when I couldnt find it I was suprised O riellys gave me the one they did and thats why I was just trying to get confirmation were it was really at. I do thank all of you for your help.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:48 AM   #11
jthomp23777
AF Regular

I stand corrected,I would not of thought the GM engineers would of put the filter in the tank. That makes a alot of sense. Read the following link I found on the Silverado, same frame as Tahoe.
RE: Fuel Filter location 2004 Silverado

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was an error in the 2004 Owners Manual Section 6 under Normal Maintenance Replacement Parts.
This section lists the fuel filter as a replaceable part; this is incorrect as gas powered V-8 engines have a lifetime filter built into the fuel sender inside the tank and thus the fuel filter is not serviceable separately on 2004 Silverado trucks equipped with the 4.8 5.3 6.0 8.1 engines.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomp23777 View Post

There was an error in the 2004 Owners Manual Section 6 under Normal Maintenance Replacement Parts.
This section lists the fuel filter as a replaceable part; this is incorrect as gas powered V-8 engines have a lifetime filter built into the fuel sender inside the tank and thus the fuel filter is not serviceable separately on 2004 Silverado trucks equipped with the 4.8 5.3 6.0 8.1 engines.
GM'S lifetime expectations are much different than our expectations...

since they made this change why not make an access door to remove/replace the fuel pump/filter ...?

some manufacturers offer this ...
Old 06-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
jthomp23777
AF Regular

Ya know j-cat, with that logic of a fuel filter access door, your too smart to be a GM engineer.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #14
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomp23777 View Post
Ya know j-cat, with that logic of a fuel filter access door, your too smart to be a GM engineer.
many a GM vehicle has been designed with great quality and performance...Its when the cost cutting bean counters F'up the design...like that new camaro GM just put out...

this access door is something that , some including dealership tech's have installed...especially with troublesome fuel pumps/filter access...
Old 06-03-2010, 02:13 AM   #15
bass_caster
AF Newbie

[quote=j cAT;6416659]many a GM vehicle has been designed with great quality and performance...Its when the cost cutting bean counters F'up the design...like that new camaro GM just put out...
quote]

this may be the wrong thread, but i'm curious what you're refering to with the new camaros...
bass_caster is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe