Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Golf
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 12:33 AM   #1
blazingintellect
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to blazingintellect
Loud???

this isnt really a major concern, because ive asked a couple of people and they said its no big deal, but im afraid they dont know what the hell they are talking about. Anyways, I have a 2000 VW golf 2.0....and my problem is that it seems as though my engine is loud, whether its idling or im sitting at a light. I put some stuff in thats sposed to quiet sticky lifters but of course that was a waste of 10 bux. Any ideas...is this common? BTW i have 90k on it.

J
blazingintellect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:13 PM   #2
blazingintellect
AF Newbie

Re: Loud???

bump....replies pleasee....
Old 04-21-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
veedubmechanic
VDUBMAN

2.0 are very loud and ... loud to begin with.

Are there any unusual noises.?
2.0 have loud engine noises (valves and injectors are ALOT louder than normal engines) but it takes someone who listens to them all day to know if its louder than normal.

If you havent had the timingbelt/water pump/tensioner replaced yet I would very much so suggest it.
Try adding a can of b/g fuel system cleaner to the gas tank at 1/2 full , it will clean injectors/valves very good if there clogged and help with gas mileage and performance.
veedubmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:50 PM   #4
blazingintellect
AF Newbie

Re: Loud???

thanks so much...ill give it a shot...On a side note, when should i consider getting my tranny flushed?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
veedubmechanic
VDUBMAN

Get your trans fluid and filter replaced asap too if you have 80k miles.
veedubmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:01 AM   #6
Martbee
AF Enthusiast

Loud ?

I don't know exactly why but I'm a owner of 3 wonderful Golf and they all have a différent sound. The 1.8 GL (92) is a perfect motor sound (I've just pass the 331 000km on it !) but seem to sound almost like a Honda or toyota (well not when you start because you hear the hydrolic valve returning system strugling to start this 1.8L), you don't expect it to be a 1.8 but a 1.6 or something like that. Almost inaudible at idle and barely when moving... well, it's a motor though... you can hear it but not much. My GTI (95) sound like a race car but still have the original muffler so, don't ask me (and no, it don't leak)! And it was like that when I bough it brand new... much more gutural and low than the 1.8 and I tough (back then) that every 2.0L would sound something like that pretty pleasant low rumble. People ask me the trick to do this, what kind of resonator give that sound but it's factory sound so I'm a little puzzle about this puppy. Then, I bought myself a winter car... a little CL 99 with the 2.0L and then I heard what ugly sound it produce !!! It was like a "Singer sewing machine" kind of noise. Pretty far from my 95 gutural low sound. Something tend to make a little metalic sound like somebody with metal spoon giving a pretty high beat to a band that can't follow. It's kind of ugly and ask to get it revised but all VW service answer that it's an "Ok sound". I stop my battle and I give up with the VW motor sound because each one seem to be different... so enjoy it when it a good sound and suffer when it's bad ! Well, it don't mean not to keep it in good shape... keep the injector clean, it can help. The catalysor can be a problem so check it too.
Martbee is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Golf