Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
signspinnert
AF Newbie

Lumina 98 ltz (wheel bearing replacement)

I need a new wheel bearing! Is it possible to do myself in driveway? What should the part cost also.... 3.8 liter engine! I dont have many tools! just all the normal ones!
signspinnert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Lumina 98 ltz (wheel bearing replacement)

Check the how to at autozone.com, repair guides, register and go to steering and suspension for your car.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
signspinnert
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Lumina 98 ltz (wheel bearing replacement)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
Check the how to at autozone.com, repair guides, register and go to steering and suspension for your car.
I TOOK IT TO A FRIEND AND WORKED ON IT! GOT THE PART FROM B AN F AUTO PALMETTO FL.

It was not easy!!!!! and first test drive revealed we didnt have main bearing lug tight enuff by 4 threads!!!!!!! ha ha we figured out! metal on metal clunk on tight slow turn....

At 1 hr in tho i was like "oh f#$%" neighbor came over and worked a bit an said " break the nuts or cut em, jus do it!!!!" first bolt we broke after that and some PB? i think(the juicy stuff) we totally replaced evrything.....or what they call "housing" took it for 22 mile ride 12 at 55 mph and 3 at 78 mph and seems ok....

NOTE: i took it to midas and asked them whats wrng earlier today. they quoted me 625.00 to do both bearings.....I gave my friend a 12 pack of sundrop and 50.00 for one. i did help so one more next week maybe!!! big vibration is gone!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Look. What it boils down to is four bolts on the back side of the spindle, and the big nut on the end of the CV shaft. Everything else is just fluff.

Hardest part about it is getting the caliper bridge bolts off without breaking your torx bit or rounding them out. They are tight as hell. I torch them until they glow before even trying...you round out an inside torx bolt and you've got a major headache.

The bolts on the backside that hold the hub bearing in are a bit tricky to get to, but nothing a good u-joint socket can't handle. Make sure you don't push against the ABS sensor, it's a little bit in the way of one bolt.

Make absolutely sure the CV shaft nut is tightened to 151 ft/lbs when you put it back on, or the bearing WILL NOT LAST...can fail within 5-6000 miles (ask how I know)

It's really not that difficult, you just have to take your time, use the right tools, and pay attention to the details.

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffcoslacker For This Useful Post:
signspinnert (06-11-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
signspinnert
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcoslacker View Post
Look. What it boils down to is four bolts on the back side of the spindle, and the big nut on the end of the CV shaft. Everything else is just fluff.

Hardest part about it is getting the caliper bridge bolts off without breaking your torx bit or rounding them out. They are tight as hell. I torch them until they glow before even trying...you round out an inside torx bolt and you've got a major headache.

The bolts on the backside that hold the hub bearing in are a bit tricky to get to, but nothing a good u-joint socket can't handle. Make sure you don't push against the ABS sensor, it's a little bit in the way of one bolt.

Make absolutely sure the CV shaft nut is tightened to 151 ft/lbs when you put it back on, or the bearing WILL NOT LAST...can fail within 5-6000 miles (ask how I know)

It's really not that difficult, you just have to take your time, use the right tools, and pay attention to the details.
Can I take to garage to get that cv nut tightened to 151.....we went by threads. Tightned like the other wheels so they all are showing 9 threads....thats the best we could figure out!!!!
seems real tight though!!!!!!! yeah those bolts on backside are a real Bit#$ to get to and loosen!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
maxwedge
A990 racer

Not the right way to do it, the nut must be torqued, as JeffC said.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
signspinnert
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
Not the right way to do it, the nut must be torqued, as JeffC said.
So ask a garage to torqe it for me eh? Thats my only option I imagine!