Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 11:47 AM   #1
xtanmanx
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to xtanmanx
okay got the code....

10:45----it showed a 14!!!! from what i found here, that is the coolant temperature sensor??? would THAT make it run like it was extremely rich (but then, dont know if WOT bypasses all sensors or not). anyways..again, it would idle, and it would rev with the least amount throttle...but as soon as clutch was released and put in gear, it would bog. but it would move normal with WOT...is this really a 14 symptom??

Thanks
Andy

10:55----sure enough..opened the hood and took off the breather assembly and found a green plug to the rear and sorta to the top of the TB that was sorta cocked and could not have been making contact.

1st...is this the coolant sensor?
2nd..do these cars have a Limp Mode when it finds a problem with a sensor? had a camaro that i could not accelerate to fast because it would throw a code and put it in limp mode...does this do the same, and explain why it ran fine after i stopped for a minute?
xtanmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
geozukigti
AF Enthusiast

The coolant temp sensor adjusts the fuel/air mixture according to the temp of the engine. If the sensor is bad, it'll run in "open loop" mode. These computers don't have a limp mode. Open loop means it'll operate at full rich, and you'll get terrible gas mileage.
geozukigti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
tude123
AF Regular

You have two coolant temperature sensors (actually three if you have air conditioning), The one that is used by the computer to set mixture is just to the engine side of the thermostat. There are two electrical connectors there, one has a black boot protecting it, and its for the analog (needle) temperature indicator on your dash, next to your speedometer. The connector you need to check is the brown one that is held in place by a tab. Check this connection carefully and the associated wires. This sensor is threaded in place and can be removed using a wrench. Be sure to drain the coolant level down a little before doing so however. Good luck!
tude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
tude123
AF Regular

If I'm not mistaken, the green connector near the top of the throttle body is the electrical connection to the fuel injecter. And if that were loose you would definitely have troubles!
tude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #5
xtanmanx
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to xtanmanx
well..plugged in the one on the TBI and disconnected the battery long enough to take a shower and get cleaned up. headed out to the next town over to play a pool tournament and the car was back to its original state as when i bought it, still searching for an idle (idles way up then down until it dies...start again and idles up then down until it dies) i can deal with this until next weekend, as i dont have time to mess with it during the week (single father and 10-12 hour workdays).

but any ideas on the idle issue? gimme an idea on something to look for next Saturday!!!

Thanks all...
Andy in AZ
xtanmanx is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro