Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 07:10 PM   #1
alltel
AF Newbie

1989 Trans-am steering wheel controls not working

Can anyone please help me? I need help finding the steering wheel control box on a 1989 Ponitiac Trans-Am Pace car. The radio is "locked" and the car is sold. I really need to unlock it before tomorrow. My "mute" button does not work. Apparently, none of the steering wheel controls work. One, I need to get the radio unlocked, Two, I need to figure out how to get the steering wheel controls to work. I have toned out the wires from the controls to the base of the steering collum. That part is fine. I have had the radio checked and it is fine. So, somewhere between the base of the steering collum and the radio, something doesn't work. Can anyone HELP? Thanks, newcomer.
alltel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:24 PM   #2
thundrks
AF Newbie

okay, to unlock the radio usually there is a code in your owners manual, if you can't locate the code you must pull the radio to get the serial number and contact the dealer, they have the codes in one of their fancy computing machines....it is a factory radio right?!?!? The steering controls may be the buttons that arn't working on the wheel itself, they might have a seperate power and ground so I would break out the DMM and check all those wires. Also, if it's not a factory radio most cars require a special adaptor to hook up the steering wheel buttons but that's a whole other issue. Let me know a little more about the radio before I get into that.
-MaRcY
thundrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:52 PM   #3
alltel
AF Newbie

1989 Trans-am steering wheel controls not working

Thanks for your reply. This is the factory radio, but there is no numerical code to type in. There are no numbers on the radio. The dealer ship has already been contacted and they said that "all you have to do, is hit the mute button on the steering wheel controls and the radio will unlock". I have already verified power to all components. Any suggestions on where the Steering Wheel Control Box may be? There is a four wire lead from the steering wheel to the base of the steering column. But, there is only two wires actually going into the radio for control. Somewhere there has to be a controller to convert from the four wire to two wire application. Thanks again for your suggestions.
alltel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
thundrks
AF Newbie

Really sorry I can't help you out on this one, if it were my car I'd prob. trace the wires as far as I could and then start a tear down until I came accross it but since you're crunched for time could you just slap some pawn shop radio in there? Does the guy you sold it too think everything's original and the steering wheel controls work or does he just know there's a working radio? Either way, good luck and I hope someone else can be more useful.
-MaRcY
thundrks is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio