Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
Greer123
AF Newbie

Angry gas pedal sticking

Three times now I have been driving my 2004 TB and the gas pedal has stayed in place when I remove my foot to slow down. The first 2 times I tapped it a little with my foot and it "unstuck" and the car drove normally. The 3rd time, the tapping made it worse and I accelerated rapidly towards a school bus, with my own kids in the car. I applied the brake but the car was fighting it. I finally panicked and shut the car off. It was really scary and I don't trust the car now. Has anyone heard of this problem? Thanks.
Greer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
balboasdelight
AF Enthusiast

Re: gas pedal sticking

Get it to a dealer immediately!

Are you sure it's the pedal staying down? Or just that the RPMs don't back off when you release pressure on the pedal? The former would indicate mechanical sticktion in the accellerator pedal linkage; the latter might be a fault in the switch/sensor/pot that senses the pedal position and tells the computer.

Either way, you need to get it fixed. Now.

Good luck.

balboasdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
GMMerlin
I know stuff

That system is a "fly by wire" design. There is no physical linkage that links the pedal assembly to the throttle.
If the throttle is sticking, it could be the return spring for pedal assembly.
Either way, get it to the dealer
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:26 PM   #4
Greer123
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMerlin
That system is a "fly by wire" design. There is no physical linkage that links the pedal assembly to the throttle.
If the throttle is sticking, it could be the return spring for pedal assembly.
Either way, get it to the dealer

I have no idea if I'm "replying" correctly, but thanks for the advice. I got it to the dealer right away. They said Chevy has never heard of this problem. They updated some software and reset everything and gave it back to me. I am driving it again, but I'm constantly on guard in case it happens! I guess putting it into neutral and pulling over is the right response? Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: gas pedal sticking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer123
I guess putting it into neutral and pulling over is the right response? Thanks again.
Putting it in neutral with a stuck accelerator pedal is likely to cause extremely high RPM. Perhaps the computer will limit the rpm to a safe (but high) amount. If not, you could pretty much expect engine damage.

If it was me, I'd turn off the ignition. The downside here is that if you panic and turn the key too far, you'll lock the steering. That'd be less than optimum. In any event, you'd lose the power assist for steering, too. Not a problem if you're prepared for it.

So, I suppose, you are better off blowing the engine than having no steering and colliding with someone else. Again, perhaps the computer is smart enough to save the engine. Seems to be able to do everything else imaginable.

If the "stuck throttle" thing happens again, it should go right back to the dealer. At least that way, if you do have a collision or a blown engine, you've got multiple receipts proving that you tried to get it fixed. (Any chance the floormats are interfering with the throttle return???)
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:00 PM   #6
Greer123
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: gas pedal sticking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey
Putting it in neutral with a stuck accelerator pedal is likely to cause extremely high RPM. Perhaps the computer will limit the rpm to a safe (but high) amount. If not, you could pretty much expect engine damage.

If it was me, I'd turn off the ignition. The downside here is that if you panic and turn the key too far, you'll lock the steering. That'd be less than optimum. In any event, you'd lose the power assist for steering, too. Not a problem if you're prepared for it.

So, I suppose, you are better off blowing the engine than having no steering and colliding with someone else. Again, perhaps the computer is smart enough to save the engine. Seems to be able to do everything else imaginable.

If the "stuck throttle" thing happens again, it should go right back to the dealer. At least that way, if you do have a collision or a blown engine, you've got multiple receipts proving that you tried to get it fixed. (Any chance the floormats are interfering with the throttle return???)

OK, so do I blow the engine or crash into something? Maybe I should check with the dealer to see what action I should take. I had no idea my car was "drive by wire". It's not like it's an Airbus or anything. I am careful to put it in park when I'm at a red light. And no, the floormat wasn't the issue. I wish it was. If you look at the pedal you can see it would be hard to get the mat up there. I think I will opt for putting it in neutral. At least I can steer. Thanks for all the helpful info.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:38 PM   #7
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: gas pedal sticking

Quote:
I am careful to put it in park when I'm at a red light.

Why?
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:44 AM   #8
KahneFan
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gas pedal sticking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey
Why?
Maybe for fear it will "gun" itself into the intersection (?).

Would it hurt it as bad to down shift, 2nd, 1st, while applying the brakes, as you slowly pull over?

If the gas pedal itself is not sticking, could this have been some strange malfunction with the cruise control maybe setting on its own? (maybe the computer reset fixed it?)
KahneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:19 AM   #9
Greer123
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gas pedal sticking

Because if the RPM's start increasing at least the car isn't in drive. Maybe this isn't necessary. I want my 1977 Datsun B210 back!!!

QUOTE=Schurkey]Why?[/quote]
Old 12-06-2005, 09:14 AM   #10
balboasdelight
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: gas pedal sticking

Quote:
OK, so do I blow the engine or crash into something?
None of the above. Your brakes should stop the vehicle, even if the gas pedal is floored. Then turn it off. If it's a sticking pedal (or pedal position sensor), red lights shouldn't be an issue.

balboasdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:07 PM   #11
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gas pedal sticking

Quote:
Because if the RPM's start increasing at least the car isn't in drive. Maybe this isn't necessary. I want my 1977 Datsun B210 back!!!
Does the engine RPM increase all on it's own? That's a WHOLE DIFFERENT MATTER than having the pedal stick. Pedal sticking would mean that the power level stays stable when you release the gas pedal.

Do you have both problems? Or just one or the other?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #12
Hferrell85
AF Newbie

Talking gas pedal sticking

My car is having a problem with the gas pedal getting stuck. When I come to a complete stop, and then try to go, my gas pedal is stuck. I have to stomp on the gas to make it go and at most times is gets so bad that the tires spin. This is a serious problem and I have tried to use WD-40 but it doesn't help. It got so bad during rain that my car almost spun out of control. Can anyone tell me what this could be????
Hferrell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #13
Jethro
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Jethro

Sounds to me that if that occurs again and there is an accident, that chevrolet will be responsible for this occurance.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > TrailBlazer | Trailblazer EXT