Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Non-Performance This is the place to discuss interior, exterior, and other non-performance related modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
BentChevy
AF Newbie

Just need to know what its called

I have been reading all night and cant find this simple answer lol. I was recently in a low speed fender bender or so I thought. Insurance company got over so I'm on my own. So anyway when I went to replace the metal underside of my bumper ...Dont know what its called. When I went to attatch it to the car itself, I noticed that the metal forks if thats what they are called were both bent! It seems now entire front of car after straightening most of the parts it's still shifted towards drivers side. Ok I'd say from firewall forward is what I need to replace. Is that the subframe or the unibody? I feel dumb asking but Im tired of reading.
Oh its a 2001 Cavalier 2.2 automatic 4 spd sedan
Thanks

Last edited by BentChevy; 09-15-2009 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Tried to attach photo too big oh well
BentChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Re: Just need to know what its called

If your replacing the sheetmetal (fenders, fraim rails, strut towers, and core supports) from the firewall forward thats called a front clip. Your car is a unibody. The parts that the lower control arms are attached to are theoretically subframes.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
BentChevy
AF Newbie

Ok thanks for reply.So in order to replace that part it has to be cut off another car and then tack welded to my car? Is that correct? I have been readng and thats what I got from it. Unless I have it straightened which I cant afford at all. Are there any other options? I tried pulling it back with a come-along but all that did was drag car sideways! I need four 300lb plus people to sit in it ! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is interested in helping me figure this out I have pictures I'll post. I really am trying to figure out a way to do it without welding ectra. Just another poor person who cant afford the rediculous amount of money they would want at a shop to fix it. thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

This is not a rookie project! You will spend a lot of time and money replacing the front clip. Everything from the windshield forward will have to be removed (engine, trans, front end, EVERYTHING).

Then all the spot weld will need to be drilled out on your car and the new front clip. Then the pieces need to be welded into place accurately in order to assure the integrity, alignment of all the pieces (fenders, hood, front end parts, motor mounts, etc) once they are lined up/installed. Failure to weld the front clip into place properly is a disaster waiting to happen.

By the time you spend all the time, money and effort to complete this project you could probably start of with the same vehicle purchased used and in good running order. So you have to ask yourself is it worth it?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
BentChevy
AF Newbie

Yikes i was afraid of that. Im gonna see if front end can be aligned its not out too bad actually. I have an almost new engine in that car so my best bet is to probably look for one with a blown engine and do that. I was hoping a big sledge hammer and a two by four might do the trick lol
Thanks for your reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance