Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Exterior | bodykits | Lighting
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Exterior | bodykits | Lighting When your ready to showoff that 'H' ride, here's your forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 07:43 AM   #1
mattcivic
AF Regular

Type R lips

I have a 99 Civic EX coupe. It has the Si trim kit (the way they come from the factory) on it with the lip on the front, and the lip looking curve on the rear bumper. The only reason why I say lip looking thing is because, unlike the front this is actually part of the bumper. Now is this the same as the Type R lip, and if not, what is the difference? Can I put a Type R lip on my rear bumper, even with that factory "lip" on the bumper? Does the front lip just mount in the place of the factory lip, or does it go over the old one? Anyone have pics of a Civic coupe with Type R lips? This stuff is confusing.
mattcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 09:20 AM   #2
B16EJ1
AF Fanatic

No you can't use a CTR rear lip. The bumper itself from the rear to the wheel well is longer. They did have an OEM rear lip that looks tight as f*ck but it was dicontinued.

Here............
B16EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 03:23 PM   #3
mattcivic
AF Regular

Thanks for the info. So what about the front lip. Is mine the same as the Type R? Any pics of an installed Type R lip?
Old 09-11-2003, 01:42 AM   #4
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Re: Type R lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcivic
Thanks for the info. So what about the front lip. Is mine the same as the Type R? Any pics of an installed Type R lip?
Type R style lip as I have on my '00 Civic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_1962.jpg (77.7 KB, 378 views)
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 03:39 PM   #5
mattcivic
AF Regular

Damn, that lip looks so much better than the factory lip I have on there now! Where did you get your lip? Are the parts of the lip to the left and right of the lower air dam flared out? Thats how they look in the picture. Looks sweet!
Old 09-12-2003, 06:19 PM   #6
whiteracer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whiteracer Send a message via Yahoo to whiteracer
the genious above helped me out too on this. Yes, the lip flares out a bit, not too much which is good. It sits a little lower than the stock bumper of course, but so far mine hasn't been a problem, nothing a little touch up won't fix.
www.autodynamic.com has them, they're a local shop here in so cal but they do ship fast nation-wide. They have a front/rear lip combo for a little more than 150 i think.
www.islandmotorsports.com another small shop here that sent me my front lip real quick and for a better price. They don't have the rear lip on their website but i went down there today and bought the rear one, going to put it on tonight. I hope mine looks similar or just like the one in that other pic.

I can't keep my eyes off that pic posted by b16, i love the color and both lips and everything. New wallpaper!
Old 09-13-2003, 02:52 AM   #7
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
David you bastard, you beat me to the CTR style rear lip from Islands. hehe, it's all good though, let me know how the install of it goes, time for me to learn some new things again. hehe

Quote:
Damn, that lip looks so much better than the factory lip I have on there now! Where did you get your lip? Are the parts of the lip to the left and right of the lower air dam flared out? Thats how they look in the picture. Looks sweet!
Thanks man (my name is Matt too, BTW). Anywho, my lip I actually bought from a friend, it was un-used though, he just didn't have a use for it. It's the CTR style front lip that Tornactive sells. The fitment of it isn't perfect, but it gets the point across with it's look. Actually to be honest, I think sides of it flare out slighty more than a genuine CTR lip, but hey, still looks cool IMO eitherway. I'm happy with it. I almost never have any scrape problems with it either. I got new tires recently, and readjusted the angle of it (when i put it on originally it angled down a little bit) so now it's all good. Just takes patience to keep it looking fresh and not all messed up.

That pic of the Silverstone silver painted Civic above is inspiring me to want to roll my fenders and dump the heck outta my Teins, LOL! That Civic looks NICE! I will get the CTR style rear lip very soon!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 09-13-2003, 02:59 AM   #8
mattcivic
AF Regular

So all I have to do is unscrew the factory lip and than reattach the CTR lip?(After paint of course, one thing I can't stand is all these kids around here running body kits that are either fiberglass white, or urethane black. If your gonna buy the kit, spend the money to get it painted!)I see that the to end sides of my factory lip have 2 screws each. Is this all that holds it in place, or do I have to pop it off somehow?
Old 09-13-2003, 08:33 AM   #9
esp
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to esp Send a message via MSN to esp Send a message via Yahoo to esp
silverY2kcivic, any thoughts on ever painting your side moldings and your mirrors. just thought that, it might look even better then it already does, make the body flow better

www.fotki.com/esp

THIS OG IS GONE retired for good. peace yall. create a crew for me
esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 11:45 AM   #10
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp
silverY2kcivic, any thoughts on ever painting your side moldings and your mirrors. just thought that, it might look even better then it already does, make the body flow better
Mirrors maybe, but not painting them, just buying the prepainted housings to them, they aren't that expensive. As for the mouldings, I'm going to be keeping those as is at least for now. I'd actually like to get the JDM flat style side mouldings, and have them body colored matched. My ultimate though would be to get and have a JDM front bumper that has rubber bumper guards built into it, which if I got that, I'd just leave my current mouldings black to match the bumper guards.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 09-13-2003, 11:48 AM   #11
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:
So all I have to do is unscrew the factory lip and than reattach the CTR lip?(After paint of course, one thing I can't stand is all these kids around here running body kits that are either fiberglass white, or urethane black. If your gonna buy the kit, spend the money to get it painted!)I see that the to end sides of my factory lip have 2 screws each. Is this all that holds it in place, or do I have to pop it off somehow?
I'm not sure how the OEM Si lip is, but with the lip I have, only 4 screws hold it on. One at each back side where it meets the wheel wells, and then one on each side where the flares start from the middle, and those are underneith to hold it to the bumper.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 09-13-2003, 12:29 PM   #12
esp
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to esp Send a message via MSN to esp Send a message via Yahoo to esp
Re: Re: Type R lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverY2KCivic
Mirrors maybe, but not painting them, just buying the prepainted housings to them, they aren't that expensive. As for the mouldings, I'm going to be keeping those as is at least for now. I'd actually like to get the JDM flat style side mouldings, and have them body colored matched. My ultimate though would be to get and have a JDM front bumper that has rubber bumper guards built into it, which if I got that, I'd just leave my current mouldings black to match the bumper guards.

reminds me of the great goosse's car, i think that is how u spell his user name. he passed away didnt he? i thought i remember reading that somewhere

www.fotki.com/esp

THIS OG IS GONE retired for good. peace yall. create a crew for me
esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:31 PM   #13
whiteracer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whiteracer Send a message via Yahoo to whiteracer
anyone reading this got a rear lip they've installed? got mine yesterday and put it on and painted it last night but i wake up this morning and see that the middle is hanging a little low and right up against the muffler (apex'i ws). There's no place to support it in the middle without putting screws that can be seen easily. Plus the mudflaps are a pain and can anybody offer any words of wisdom?
Old 09-13-2003, 05:09 PM   #14
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteracer
anyone reading this got a rear lip they've installed? got mine yesterday and put it on and painted it last night but i wake up this morning and see that the middle is hanging a little low and right up against the muffler (apex'i ws). There's no place to support it in the middle without putting screws that can be seen easily. Plus the mudflaps are a pain and can anybody offer any words of wisdom?
Zipties fix EVERYTHING, well according to drifters, LMAO!

Seriously though, damn, I dunno I guess I'd have to see how it looks David. =\

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 09-13-2003, 05:12 PM   #15
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Re: Re: Re: Type R lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp
reminds me of the great goosse's car, i think that is how u spell his user name. he passed away didnt he? i thought i remember reading that somewhere
Are you sh!tting me, he passed away? He was the OG Euro JDM king on here and PH. I'm pretty possitive he's posted on the new PH.com fairly recently, but I'll have to check on that. Where did you hear about him passing?

Oh, and to anyone that saw the first pic posted in here of the tight Silverstone silver painted EJ6 coupe, I saw the rest of the pics of the guy's car, and it rolls on some tight gunmetal 5-lug ITR rims that came on black ITRs. It looks mad pimp!

hessemer69 on AIM