Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
ESP6
AF Newbie

Audio Question

Good afternoon everyone, I just have a quick audio question, I have removed the liner on my 93 van and I was wondering if anyone has a good alternative to the "sheet" antenna the is installed in these things. Basically I dont know alot about the antenna but would like to find a standard one that has the same or better range..
Any thoughts? Thank you.
ESP6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: Audio Question

INteresting....can you take a photo ?
They have FOUR pages in the book just for that: www.avigex.ca/xport/roofantenna2.jpg www.avigex.ca/xport/roofantenna3.jpg

And yes, I think this camouflaged antenna is not the best for distant reception as I get much better performance from my other cars with an external antenna...but I live with it..and it is saved from damage in car wash....
I think any external "normal" antenna would be as good and probably better than that. SINce the roof is plastic, I would even try it inside just for a test.
I have not removed the radio yet but from the drawing it seems it has a standard antenna connector.... and intermediate connectors behind glove box so you do not need to actually remove the radio..

Last edited by LMP; 01-31-2008 at 09:12 AM.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
ESP6
AF Newbie

Well. first, thanks for the reply. I did take a closer look and it does have the standard antenna cable connector. Essentially this antenna, which I thought worked well, is taped to the inside of the head liner. I could try to get a photo of it but I'll have to switch PC's first, this one isnt set up with photo software.
Another question, CB antenna's have a different connector than the AM/FM radios. I was wondering if you may have heard of and adaptor that would work on one of these...
Thanks for the photos from the book. I doesnt really show it really clearly, but there is another connection to the antenna up in the roof too. The cable runs up the pass pilar like an extension cord too.. My biggest concern with an internal antenna is the van construction, I was thinking that it was actually galvanised steel bonded in fiberglass like material. If so, for an internal antenna, would a powerd or boosed one work better?
Thank you for the advise...
Let me know if you need a photo of it, and i'll try to post one...
Old 02-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP6
I was thinking that it was actually galvanised steel bonded in fiberglass ...
It is integral fiberglass...or composite, whatever they call that..and the internal antenna works because there is no metal.
YOu must have separate antennas for CB and radio because otherwise when the CB transmits, the high power signal will destroy the radio first RF amplifier/converter stage.
I had once a combined AM/FM/CB radio that internally switched antenna connections when transmitting...and also a single retractable combined antenna. WHen a CB signal entered, it would cut radio and play the CB through the audio system..real cool.I do not know if that still exists..... Good ole 80's

I would not go the way of the antenna amplifier. Most receivers are sensitive down to the noise threshold...and if the signal is too low, an amplifier would just amplify the noise with the signal. ANtenna amplifiers are better to amplify an already good signal to make it travel a longer line or to make it available to an array of receivers.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
ESP6
AF Newbie

Ok. Thank you for the useful information..

Update - I tried to get a picture of the antenna but my computer isnt recognizing the camera. I'm going to order a new cable and try again..

Last edited by ESP6; 02-12-2008 at 07:31 AM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV